What to do first with engine still on the stand??

TPCDrafting

Structural Steel
Reaction score
It really depends on what you want to use the truck for as far as bombs go. I use mine almost exclusively for heavy towing at high altitude and anything more than 350 hp I can't seem to keep temps under control at least on my budget. Putting money into 'fuel in' is cheap, plan to spend more on getting cool air in and exhaust out, you'll be happier in the long run.

Hillbilly

Reaction score
Well ideally I want to be able to pull appx 10k pounds, 2 trail toys weighing appx. 4500-5000 lbs a piece on the ole 40' goose. Now this will not be an every weekend thing, at the most 3-5 times a year. On average all the truck will see is about 6000-6500 lbs 2-3 times a month. That's one trail toy, 18' carhauler and enough gear to stay for 2-3 days. I would like to be able to maintain the posted speed limits on most average grades around here and have alittle more power on demand if need be. Also should my big truck break down, move a 555 Ford Backhoe across town 25-30 miles if needed.

TPCDrafting

Structural Steel
Reaction score
IMHO no more than 400 hp and you'll be happy. If you want to tow like you say, but want more, just put in a valet switch and use it when towing, then you can have all the fun power when driving it empty.