What tells the gauge how much fuel is in the tank?

warhog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I generally get about 80 miles out of my rear tank, and about 100-140 miles out of the front tank before the gauges are right on E. When I fuel up, I can stuff 10gal or less in the front, and 3 or 4 in the rear on average.

Lately, I'd see how long I could drive before I run out of fuel. I've only driven about 50 more miles with it on E before I got nervous and switched tanks LOL BUT, in those 50 miles, the needle will sometimes magically float back up some. Today it went up to 1/4 and hung out there to work and back (60 miles). Its now showing empty though.

So...Is this the common shower head issue people talk about? Or a sending unit, or what? I'm not familiar with fuel systems too much so if i start to take the tank down i won't know what to look for or at.

w4dsb

Reaction score
sending unit for the gauge issue
the shower head wont let it pick up the fuel in the bottom of the tank so it runs out of fuel with fuel still in the tank

warhog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks. naturally advance auto shows no parts for me.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The sending unit has a variable resistance box on it that is controlled by the arm on the float. This resistance box wears out.

warhog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
rock auto isn't showing anything either. any ideas?

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What would be the chances that Autozone part number FG114A could be made to work? I looked up a 86 f250 with a 460.

1. It would have the correct resistance for your fuel gauge.

2. It has the fuel return port.

3. It's designed for a electric fuel pump to hang on it, but a pickup hose could be added correct?

What I don't know;

1. Will it have the proper diameter to fit the hole in the tank.

The lack of a replacement fuel sending unit that is readily available at a good price has been a problem for awhile. I see it's special order, so if you saw something that would make it a bad candidate for a retro-fit, I am wondering if they would take it back or would they charge you some sort of shipping?

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Original sender is NOT available anymore. If you pull the tanks you'll see how there made. You can remove the front tank sender without dropping the tank. U-haul had a sender on ebay awhile ago, they are very expensive if you can find any. Below is what they look like, connection may not be the same. The senders are matched to the guage, by resistance, so just anyone might not work. Your frontank holds 15 gal. rear 19 Gal.

Here is the one on uhaul, but it's for a 40 GAL. TANK http://www.ebay.com/itm/200590833922?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Attachments

• fuel sender pic.jpg
    fuel sender pic.jpg
    12.1 KB · Views: 69
Last edited:

warhog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so no one makes replacement parts? what do people do when they fail?

edit: 1990 e350 7.3 unit looks the exact same part?

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All gauges 86 down in all trucks are the same, so they use the same resistance. 87 may be the same also, I am little fuzzy on that year, and sometime around 88 they changed the cluster and the gauges, and so the sending unit changed also on the 88-up trucks. The resistance is the same 88-up to I am not sure, probably 96, maybe later for the f250-up trucks.

warhog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i would need the whole sending unit, not the pick up. thanks though!

warhog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
franklin brings up a good point. are the gas trucks same size tanks and same resistence?

edit: a gasser unit will work perfect.

Last edited:

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is no gasser unit that will be a drop in, but I tried to pick one that I thought MIGHT work with some modifications. I haven't tried it, so if you do you will be the guinea pig. If you do get it to work, and write back in, you will be the hero, like was said this is a sore point with these trucks.

warhog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What year truck do you have franklin? I'm buying one with the same year as mine, but from a 250 w/ 460. It's drop in. Just shove a piece of hose on there where the fuel pump would go (if it were being used in the gasser). The elec connections may be differ (4 prong as opposed to 2 prong) but no worries, just plug the connection in.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grizzly Wrecker

Members online