What size trailer can I use without a problem?

cur.bill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 93 F350 crewcab with a totally rebuilt drivetrain. 3.53 rear auto with the 7.3. I am in So FL where there is no problem with this setup. I would like to take a cross country trip in 1 1/2 years to the pacific coast. What size trailer (pull or 5th or cabover) can I look to which would alow me to travel in safety and comfort. I do not look forward to breaking down in the middle of the country. Everthing and I do mean everthing that could possibly break is brand new or rebuilt. the engine has about 4,000 miles on it today.

Brutis

Work in Progress
Reaction score
Before I added my turbo I could haul a trailer full of shingles (trailer + shingles =12,000lbs) up hill without any problems. I haven't really towed since adding my turbo, but I imagine it will be significantly better.

sootman73

Reaction score
fill out your sig so that we know exactly how your truck is setup. include axles, drw or srw, 4x4 or 2x4, what trans, and if you have a turbo. list the mods you have done also. just so we dont have to ask before answering your question.

Writing that you have an f350 and 7.3 with 3.55 gearing doesn't really tell us much since there are so many mods that can be done to change the performance and reliability of the truck.

cur.bill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The engine was completely rebuilt including sleeves, heads, pistons, valves, rebuilt IP rebuilt trans, new fuel tanks, new electric fuel pumps (each tank) separate filter heads, new hoses, injectors, glow plugs, etc. It is auto eod4 electric I believe. I don't know what else to say. It does not have a turbo as it is a stock 93 IDI. Everthing came from international not ford.

BrandonMag

Dana 50 rebuilder
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am by no means an expert on hauling, this post just reflects my limited experience:
The truck you see in my sig has 4.10 gears, 31X10.50 BFGs, headers, 2.5" exhaust, and a Hypermax cowl induction. That's it for performance mods. It's got about 165,000 miles and runs pretty strong.
I just hauled my 6000 lb. 24 ft. trailer down to the coast and back this past weekend to go clamming (got my limits both days). There's some hills on the Oregon and Washington highways that had me going about 35 mph in 3rd gear. If I was you, I probably wouldn't be looking to haul much more than a 6000 lb. trailer.
I see you've pretty much completely rebuilt your engine and drivetrain, but if I was looking to haul cross-country like you plan on doing, I would definitely add a turbo. And an intercooler if you've got the money.

Mat J

Way down south
Reaction score
with the 91 in my sig i have pulled about 10k in trailer weight. its slow but moves it fine in our flat land.

5th wheels and goose necks are easier parking wise.

i have a turbo i couldnt get to seal up right on my truck that i will let go cheap if you want it i got a new truck.

i would definatly get a trans and pyro gauge though. diesel manor .com has decent prices on isspro

Fozz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Definately get a big aux tranny cooler. I think the 3.55 gear is going to be your biggest limiting factor. I tow 10k with the truck below, and it does fine until I get to the 6 or 7% 2 mile long grades. Then I'm doing 40-45mph. I'm hoping that will improve a little when I get a chance to replace my injectors and pump. Check your manual to see what your truck is rated to tow, or search the internet. That number would keep you in the comfort zone.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
suggestions....
Re-gear to a 4.10 rear.
get and install a turbo kit.
get and install a IC kit.
get extra tranny cooler with an aux. fan.
with this combo, you can pull a 10k gvw trailer and not have to worry.;Sweet

oldmisterbill

Grumpy Old Man
Reaction score
suggestions....
Re-gear to a 4.10 rear.
get and install a turbo kit.
get and install a IC kit.
get extra tranny cooler with an aux. fan.
with this combo, you can pull a 10k gvw trailer and not have to worry.;Sweet

X2 Tow cat is right on- I plumbed my 2 coolers in a parrallel flow to keep flow as unrestricted as possible.
Frequent trans oil changes are good. I personally have the heebe jeebes about old transmissions (been bitten on the road by them) Consider a good rebuild -maybe check oil condition and look for metal in the trans pan.With these mods you can pull 25,000 all over the country. I know because I've done it. These trucks are tough & well built,maybe not race cars but proven pullers.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
What Towcat said, plus synthetic tranny fluid, I don't care what kind, just get it in there. It will lessen your chances of cooking something someplace you don't want to be.

If you go the southern route, once you cross into TX you don't go far before you start going up, and up, and up and keep going up till you get to just outside of Elpaso, slow steady pull usually fighting a headwind, then you get a short reprieve into the Rio Grande valley, then Guess what, You're pulling again, That's when you get past Las Cruses and you really start climbing

You might be able to get by with your present rear end, but you will be down in the gears and it will be getting HOT. The further west you get the steeper and longer the pulls get.

Side note, make sure to lock your camper or they are going to want to have a talk with you at one of the immigration inspection stops :eek:

TWeatherford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Everything above, and make sure to add gauges. That way you'll know how hard you can hammer down and not burn anything up. With a big trailer, I don't find giant hills much fun at high altitude with these trucks. Hill such as Eisenhower pass on 70 west of Denver and I'm sure some others might be better avoided. You can do them, I just don't find it fun running hard to go 30 up a hill and then hoping I don't melt my brakes on the way down. I don't care for big trailers and hills with an auto trans.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Staff online