what size intercooler pipe to use?

Hyde

N GO SEEK
Reaction score
ok im learning allot about intercoolers on here, so deffiently not going with the 4 inch, thought it was way to big anyway, got it for 20 bucks was the only reason i have it, anybody have any idea how much boost an hx35w would produce? its off a 5.9 cummins, im using that for the turbo on my idi

More than your engine will hold in stock form, I recommend an external wastegate. As someone whos done it Im curious what setup you are going to run the HX on? Sorry for the hijack subway

fordf350man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
it does have a adjustable waste gate on the turbo, i was alraedy planning on setting it to not blow up my engine haha, the turbo bolts right onto my banks pipe just as the banks sidewinder turbo would, not sure on how it will clear everthing in there yet havent gotten that far, havent even started the project yet and also sorry for the hijack

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
Not a big deal, an HX35 is at the top of my list for a future turbo upgrade. Not yet though, got to let the finances recharge a little LOL

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
Subway, when I was researching intercooler info, I spoke to my buddy and his dad about it extensively. They build semis for truck pulling.
The 3" for our application allows for less resistance and more importantly, more volume. The larger plumbing with more volume also gives the charge air more time to "cool down". The loss of boost versus more volume, at a cooler charge air temp, is superseded by the added volume and cooler charge air temps.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
My Hypermax intercooler measures about 2 1/4 inch. So does the lines. I learned something interesting about keeping the rubber or silicone boots on the lines. Spray the insides with hair spray. When that drys it will act as a glue to hold the lines to the boost.

subway

Reaction score
Thanks Gary I was really wondering what the hypermax kit was, I like the tip to, I saw that in the thread. The pipe size seems to confirm the equations were fairly close. A very generous friend and member is hooking me up with a 2.5 inch kit for a great price. I think that will work well for me. Now I need to get some parts mounted up a head of time, getting stoked!

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How bout 2- 2 1/2 out to IC and 3" from IC to engine!

As the air cools it's velocity decreases and thus needs a larger area to flow the same amount of air.

I'm just thinking out loud here...I'd also wrap the IC pipes to help keep underhood temps from heating the tubes or at least the cold side! For chitzngglz that is!

Then use a nice long taper reducer from 3" to your intake or...

Get a IDI power modded intake with a 3" tube inlet and be done with that portion of stuff...

Or Mod yer intake hat for 3" tube and be done too! Then you got it made for one side!

Just saying...have some fun with it...

Al

Black dawg

Reaction score
no science or math here, but I used a 6.0 cooler and 3 inch tubing. I was really worried about this lag that in theory would be increased. My worries were totally unfounded, as I can feel no more turbo lag than I had before. And this is with a non wastegated setup. The crazy part to me, was how much power increased at low to NO boost levels.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
no science or math here, but I used a 6.0 cooler and 3 inch tubing. I was really worried about this lag that in theory would be increased. My worries were totally unfounded, as I can feel no more turbo lag than I had before. And this is with a non wastegated setup. The crazy part to me, was how much power increased at low to NO boost levels.

Kewl,

That's just about the setup I've got and am going to stick in...a 6.0 IC and an 088 turbo....Hmm...just may work well then.

Hope to be able to get to a 093 up pipe setup and then custom create a custom turbo setup later on down the road!

Al

subway

Reaction score
How bout 2- 2 1/2 out to IC and 3" from IC to engine!

As the air cools it's velocity decreases and thus needs a larger area to flow the same amount of air.

I'm just thinking out loud here...I'd also wrap the IC pipes to help keep underhood temps from heating the tubes or at least the cold side! For chitzngglz that is!

Then use a nice long taper reducer from 3" to your intake or...

Get a IDI power modded intake with a 3" tube inlet and be done with that portion of stuff...

Or Mod yer intake hat for 3" tube and be done too! Then you got it made for one side!

Just saying...have some fun with it...

Al
you like spending other peoples money don't you LOL I think you are right in your thinking, I don't plan on going that fancy though. I would like more HP but don't need to sem out every last one at my wallets expense. I think my 2.5 inch tube should make me and my truck happy.

Garbage_Mechan

Garbage Mechanic
Reaction score
I'm with you on finding things you can use on the cheap, but trust me on this one : Sell or trade those two I/C's and get a 99 to 2002 Ford 7.3 Super Duty cooler. You still have to do a little cutting but not HACKING, which will be needed with the other coolers you have. Anf you are right about not adding too much volume to the I/C piping, it takes time to fill the volume, causing lag and smoke.
im not sure but i am debating between two intercoolers right now, both i got off of a semi truck, one ha a 3 inch inlet and outlet and would fit much better, the other i have i 4 inch inlet and outlet and its massive, 3 inch thick, i know that is overkill and would make allot of turbo lag but i might lower egts pretty good and maybe i can add more fuel to make up the difference, not sure yet, for you i think the 3 inch would be perfect most are running 3 inch and have no complaints

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
you like spending other peoples money don't you LOL I think you are right in your thinking, I don't plan on going that fancy though. I would like more HP but don't need to sem out every last one at my wallets expense. I think my 2.5 inch tube should make me and my truck happy.

Was tossing ideas out is all...you asked for it;Poke

I agree with a simple setup too. Both work and are a significant improvement over NO IC. That's really what it boils down to now isnt it...improvement over no IC and thus so long as tubes arent stupid small you'll be fine!

Good luck with it!

Not sure what I'm doing but likely as much as I want to do one way...LOL probably be the cheap way too

subway

Reaction score
Was tossing ideas out is all...you asked for it;Poke

I agree with a simple setup too. Both work and are a significant improvement over NO IC. That's really what it boils down to now isnt it...improvement over no IC and thus so long as tubes arent stupid small you'll be fine!

Good luck with it!

Not sure what I'm doing but likely as much as I want to do one way...LOL probably be the cheap way too
Hehe just poking ya buddy!

jaluhn83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm running 2 1/2" on both sides on my setup, though it's not actually built yet. I'm running a water/air intercooler and a custom intake setup with the pipe and cap assembly welded to the intake instead of the hat.

The HX35 is somewhere in the 18-25 psi range IIRC. I had some info on them, let me see if I can find it. I've got one that's going on my rig if anyone wants info. It's significantly larger than banks turbo but still a t3 flange and 3" output flange (same as the wg banks). Not sure how much interference you'd have in the stock location - I've got a homebuilt turbo mount. Inlet is 4", outlet looks like a 2 1/2" band clamp.

fordf350man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the 3 inch one i have came off a smaller izusu box truck, i think it would actually be about the same size as the super duty intercooler, thats why i picked it up, its not very wide either, i think the truck probably had a duramax in it but not to sure, engine was gone

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin

Members online