What size hose from auxillary trans cooler to steel factory line?

Greenie

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's a 1993 F-250. I have had lots of trouble getting a good seal where the rubber line attaches between the after market auxiliary cooler to the steel cooler lines - plus the hose clamps I can find are really flimsy and strip out easily.
Anyone know the size of the stock steel cooler lines and a source for rugged hose clamps?

Thanks!

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Use the FUEL IMJECTION style clamps full circle...google is yer friemd.....5/16" iirc but could be 3/8"...but believe 5/16" line.

If the line was cut with no flare left leaks are common....

JM7.3CW

tbrumm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The stock steel trans lines are 5/16". they should also have a flare or bubble near the end to help hold the hose on and help seal when a clamp is applied. As Al suggests above, use fuel injection hose clamps as they seal all the way around the hose and don;t distort as much as when tightening. You may also have 3/8" hose going to the cooler, and that is probably never going to stay sealed on these 5/16" lines very well. I would check that and make sure the hose is not 3/8". Some aux coolers come with 11/32" hose so the hoses can be made to work with 5/16 or 3/8" metal lines, but 5/16" hole will still seal better on the metal lines. If the ends of the metal lies have been cut off and there is no longer the the flare or bubble there, you can go to a hardware store and get brass "compression to hose barb" fittings to adapt the lines. I used these on my power steering metal lines so I could route hoses up to a cooler mounted behind the grille. You can see these fittings at the end of ps cooler lines in the photo. You can also see the fuel injection hose clamps on the trans cooler hoses.
You must be registered for see images attach

Greenie

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Two very helpful posts! Many thanks.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The stock steel trans lines are 5/16". they should also have a flare or bubble near the end to help hold the hose on and help seal when a clamp is applied. As Al suggests above, use fuel injection hose clamps as they seal all the way around the hose and don;t distort as much as when tightening. You may also have 3/8" hose going to the cooler, and that is probably never going to stay sealed on these 5/16" lines very well. I would check that and make sure the hose is not 3/8". Some aux coolers come with 11/32" hose so the hoses can be made to work with 5/16 or 3/8" metal lines, but 5/16" hole will still seal better on the metal lines. If the ends of the metal lies have been cut off and there is no longer the the flare or bubble there, you can go to a hardware store and get brass "compression to hose barb" fittings to adapt the lines. I used these on my power steering metal lines so I could route hoses up to a cooler mounted behind the grille. You can see these fittings at the end of ps cooler lines in the photo. You can also see the fuel injection hose clamps on the trans cooler hoses.

how well does the radiator cool the PS fluid?
think this may be the ticket for my PS cooler.

no mufflers

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I made all new 3/8 transmission lines. I didn't like the way the stock lines fit. The factory lines are 5/16 as posted above. If the line doesn't have a flare of some kind the house can blow off, or you can double clamp the hose.

tbrumm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
how well does the radiator cool the PS fluid?
think this may be the ticket for my PS cooler.
Brian, it looks like the PS hoses are going into the trans cooler of the radiator, but I have an E4OD so the trans lines have to go there. I actually have a PS cooler mounted up behind the grille in front of aux trans cooler. But, I suppose you could use the trans cooler in the radiator for your PS cooling if you have a ZF. If that radiator trans cooler can do a lot of the cooling for an E4OD, it ought to be able to cool a PS system with hydroboost without any trouble.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Brian, it looks like the PS hoses are going into the trans cooler of the radiator, but I have an E4OD so the trans lines have to go there. I actually have a PS cooler mounted up behind the grille in front of aux trans cooler. But, I suppose you could use the trans cooler in the radiator for your PS cooling if you have a ZF. If that radiator trans cooler can do a lot of the cooling for an E4OD, it ought to be able to cool a PS system with hydroboost without any trouble.

From what I remember reading on here, the in-the-radiator transmission cooler doesn't flow enough for the power steering. If you want a cooler, you would need to use an external cooler like tbrumm did........

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
From what I remember reading on here, the in-the-radiator transmission cooler doesn't flow enough for the power steering. If you want a cooler, you would need to use an external cooler like tbrumm did........

drats, i was hoping to eliminate the external cooler and use the rad. makes things usefull...

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Has anyone actually ever taken powersteering fluid temp?
You could be doing more harm than good by running it in the radiator.
After a quick search even crawlers running hydro assist, they consider 150 ish to be higher.
6.0's run a cooler like tbrumm has. It's mounted behind the openings in the bumper.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I added a large filter and a cooler to my setup...very happy with the results so far.

Last edited:

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Another trick is to sand the line with course grit paper, hose grabs on better.

Junior

Reaction score
Thanks for the post guys. I had a leak coming from the transmission lines to radiator connections points. After looking at the rubber hoses that were on the truck I saw they were 3/8”and switched them to 5/16. The leak is gone.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86