What should idles be set at for '92 IDI?

blowre1

Reaction score
I just bought a '92 crew-cab, long bed 4x4 and I'm starting to work out the kinks (I'll try to post some picks soon :love:). After finals, we (me and my pop) changed all 4 ball joints, both tie rods, and front u-joints.

When I first start the truck in the morning it knocks and idles around 600 rpm with no pedal pressed. If I leave it there idling, it will eventually speed up and the knock goes away. But if I push the pedal and speed it up to about 1000 rpm it stops knocking instantly, the truck warms up quickly, and the warm idle picks up. Once warm, the truck idles 800-900 rpm.

1) What makes it knock other than the 321,000 miles worth of wear? Can the oil pressure be low at low rpms? It's hellishly, deafiningly loud when knocking.

2) Can I adjust the cold idle so that it speeds up and warms up faster by itself? Like 1100-1200 rpm cold (like a powerstroke?) and then drop back to 800-900 once warm?

I read Agnem's tech article about what to look for with the cold start, and even talked to my dad at length who is a darn good mechanic, but we don't know enough about the idle settings.

Anyone recommend a good manual for this kind of stuff?

Thanks Guys,

Brooks

justinray

Contributor
Reaction score
Mine idles about 600 with a normal 'diesel knock', any little bit after idle and the knock goes away, possibly a timing issue.

SLC97SR5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For the E4od trucks, 640 rpm is spec I believe. I have bumped mine up to help with AC at idle in the summer.

As for the knocking, the timing may be way advanced or just 300k worth of wear. The injectors are probably a little slobbery.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
These cold start solenoids require you to press down on the throttle after you turn on the ignition. See the cold starting information on the drivers side sun visor. Not stepping on the throttle will burn out the cold start fast idle solenoid. Its not strong enough to accelerate the injection pump for a faster idle. 650 rpm is the warm running setting but 1000 is fine for the fast idle warmup.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
The fast idle solenoid bracket can be loosened and adjusted a tiny bit to change the fast idle setting too. Its two bolts that have a 7/16 hex. Also as posted the plunger on the solenoid is adjustable. Its a 1/4 inch hex.

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
where did you find the manual? I have been trying to locate one for my truck?

ebay has a bunch.

i have my warm idle set to ~700-750. i found that anything less than that, adjusting the TPS did nothing in the form of shifting changes. raised it up to 700-750 and all is good again. also when i had my idle set to around 650, it just sounded way to low of a speed.

body/chassis manual - http://www.bgcollectiblesplus.com/servlet/the-3012/1993-Ford-F250-Super/Detail

powertrain - http://www.bgcollectiblesplus.com/servlet/the-231/1993-Ford-F250-Super/Detail

there is also an idi turbo diesel supplement manual. let me see if i still have the link for that saved.

turbo supplement - http://www.ebay.com/itm/1993-Ford-F...re&hash=item3f197d9930&vxp=mtr#ht_1484wt_1163

i think at one time i had found that i could get all three factory manuals for less than $200. pretty good deal if you ask me.

Last edited:

blowre1

Reaction score
Yeah I got my for manual from eBay. The seller was "fatguyfactorymanuals". Mine were new, revised Ford manuals, still wrapped in platic, for the 1993 ford trucks. I flipped through them and there's a lot of information.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i have my warm idle set to ~700-750. i found that anything less than that, adjusting the TPS did nothing in the form of shifting changes. raised it up to 700-750 and all is good again. also when i had my idle set to around 650, it just sounded way to low of a speed.
The recommended idle RPM is 650 with an automatic. The reason being, the higher the idle RPM, the more HEAT is generated by the TC.