what should i do first 96 12 valve with 400km on her

5.9l jolly green

Reaction score
Im in Raleigh, NC and just picked up a 96 5.9l with 400k on the odom.
Im planing on rebuilding the engine and dont know where to start. I would like 500+hp and over 1000lbs tq eventually. I want to pull and drag with this truck what should i do first? Anyone know of diesel engine builder close to Raleigh, NC? Thanks for any help!

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First thing to do is save up some serious cash for all the parts you'll break with 500 hp and 1000 ft lbs of torque and put it away for a bad day at the track.

Step 2 open those deep pockets to pull out the cash needed to make that kind of power especially if someone else is building it for you.

Welcome, Don't know any decent engine builders in this area but myself and I don't really want to mess with it right now, but there is a machine shop in Clinton called *****'s that is VERY reasonable on prices for machine work. They've been there for 48 years.

Another man that does alot of diesels especially for pullers is Eddie Ingram of Performance Cylinder Heads in Dunlap Tennesse Give him a call at 423-554-5149...Good guy to speak too.........The build diesels for anything from the 1 liter Minirods to the huge supermodifieds and have a superflow flowbench.

Here's a site to a very successful Dodge puller, some pretty radical and expensive work was done on this thing http://www.bigbaddodge.com/Motor.html

rubberfish

Reaction score
I would like 500+hp and over 1000lbs tq eventually. I want to pull and drag with this truck

That'll be a piece of cake with a 12V
And you'll only need 400rwhp to get 1000lbs.

As for price, that depends on a ton of things.
Who's turbo, who's injectors, drugs or not, etc.
A stock clutch or auto won't work either.
There's some more money out the window.
It never, ever stops costing money. LOL LOL

Welcome to the site. :cheers:

5.9l jolly green

Reaction score
My truck is a munual tranny and is not my primary vehicle. I figure i can put $5000 to $6000 in it this year maybe more depending on how business goes.
thank you for the info on machine shops and diesel guys in our area. The more info the better.

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My truck is a munual tranny and is not my primary vehicle. I figure i can put $5000 to $6000 in it this year maybe more depending on how business goes.
thank you for the info on machine shops and diesel guys in our area. The more info the better.

You're welcome.

If she still runs good...On a limited budget I'd make sure the driveline was good and solid first....especially the U-joints and clutch, put lockers, a chip, intake and exhaust on it then add the required saftey items like fire extinguesher, kill switch, etc....and just run it...That way I could still afford to patch it up for the next race or pull and have fun with it.

Save the engine overhaul for last, almost everybody always wants to start with the engine first and build massive power but it won't do you any good if the rest of the truck can't handle it......BUT.... if you keep it in running condition while you upgrade the rest, you can always get ahold of a spare engine or two and build one to your wildest dream$$$$$$ while still having fun racing. The most fun I had racing was bashing fenders in hobby/street stocks. Pro stock and Late models were not as much fun for me especially on a limited budget and not being able to be as competitive.;Sweet

Ain't no fun sitting out a year or three because you started a major rebuild & teardown and ran out of money or time or both...There are alot of "project" vehicles for sale out there all tore apart that started out with the best of intentions.

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ya had to point him to Scott's truck LOL Well ,might as well aim for one of the best ;Sweet

I would realy like to see that $4 k South Bend clutch--The "IRON GIANT" :eek: :D

OOPS, Sorry GEO forgot he might compete against you some day, my bad. :idiot: .....Just let him empty yer cooler fer ya and you'll be OK:kick: Figured he needed to see what he was up against and let him drool over some of those go fast goodies;Sweet I love watching that thing pull. SMOOOOOOOOOOOOTH

The Iron giant triple disc clutch will leave a dent in the wallet...Hell, he easily has more in the engine compartment than I paid for both duallies combined ($13,500)

5.9l jolly green

Reaction score
If she still runs good...On a limited budget I'd make sure the driveline was good and

Thats probably the best advise Ive heard so far I think thats where Ill start.
Thanks tonka doctor

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your welcome.

If you're trying to run a business or have a full time job I figured you may have alot more fun thrashing it down the track than looking at parts scattered across the garage everytime you come home.

When you run with the big boys you really need sponsorship money and run it as an advertising business as it's near impossible to live off of or even fix the rig with the payouts if you even place.

I'm only about an hour away from you in Autryville, near Fayetteville & Dunn so if you need something or are coming this way give me a shout.

geonc

SPIDER BAIT
Reaction score
there is just sumptin :thumbsup: about the cyl pressures and sheer volume of exh to throw a 40+' plume :hail ;Sweet LOL

Need to post that vid of him literally boiling the tires an initial hook :hail shows the awesome bite of that Iron Giant ;Sweet

Attachments

• tp.gif
    tp.gif
    43 bytes · Views: 92
Last edited:

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
QUOTE]Need to post that vid of him literally boiling the tires an initial hook :hail shows the awesome bite of that Iron Giant ;Sweet[/quote]

Here it is http://home.comcast.net/~svorhees/Scott_Yreka.wmv

[QUOTEthere is just sumptin
You must be registered for see images attach
about the cyl pressures and sheer volume of exh to throw a 40+' plume :hail ;Sweet LOL
][/quote]
Fixed it fer ya , can't get the pic but here's the vid http://www.bigbaddodge.com/MOV00003.MPG

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonkadoctor
You must be registered for see images attach

Damn, you just had to say something about rain when I called you, it's raining here now:backoff

;Really ........;p ;p ;p ;p LOL :D

:flipa

:***: is up with getting pics posted today -cuss ....mustbthisvulcandialup :frustrate

Nope, not yer vulcandialup or puter G

I tried hotlinking to them and I tried downloading the pics on his site to my puter and they are blank, nada, nutin but white blank screens...Must be some type of encryption or copyright protection I've never seen before because I tried several ways to grab the pics.

Hollar atcha in a couple days, if ya see a red slab nosed brick pass you in the morning doing a buck-30 ;Really it's just me on the way to Tennesee:peelout.......catch me if you can

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bob123456789

Members online