what % of wmo is safe?

psl sniper

Reaction score
im still looking at different vehicles etc, but started wondering what most peole think is a safe mix of wmo to diesel? im not talking clean looking wmo. but black filtered to .05 micron wmo. i was thinking of just playing it safe and adding maybe 1-2 gallons per tank and leave the rest diesel (5-10% mix) id like to keep the vehicle going for awhile. however i have around 100 gallons of wmo i need to get rid of. im thinking if i keep the percentages small and filter well i should be allright.

what do you guys think?

The FNG

NOT a Powerstroke!
Reaction score
Personally, my truck has 2 tanks. I run 100% W85 in the front tank and 100% D2 in the rear. I start and stop on the rear tank in the winter. In the summer I will usually fill both with 100% W85.

WMO really becomes an issue of what vehicle you are using and how it will tolerate WMO. If all you have is one tank on a small car and you live in a cold area and it likes WMO, then you may be able to go 50/50 filtered oil to D2 without thinning and never have a problem. However, it may be much more difficult than that and you may have to start at 10% WMO and work your way up until you find where your car begins to let you know its not happy.

Josh Carmack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thats a relative question. I run 100 percent in the summer. In the winter I cut 100 percent in the tank down to about 50% or when I get irritated or too slow at making fuel I run D2 constantly, and with the promised price of 250 a gallon in a month or so I may quit running wmo altogether lol.

Last winter my truck tolerated 70 to 90 percent, 100 wouldn't run anything more than an idle because it couldn't get it through the filter. My cars don't like it cold at all, they run fine, but can't move it good. I THINK it is the suction line from the tank, because it's a tiny little 5/16th OD pipe.

metrobruce

Reaction score
heres what I have found on euopean vehicles with bosch VE distributer pumps, you can run 100% oil all the time, the injection timing definitely needs tweeking and also the delivery of fuel from the tank needs to be a single feed and a looped return. Idealy the feed from the tank needs a coolant heated filter, I have found this works as a heated swirl pot for fuel before it enters the fuel pump loop. the looped return works especialy well for two reasons, warm oil does not return back to the tank it recirculates round the fuel pump and the second reason is that the engine is only pulling what it is using from the tank rather than returning huge amounts back to the tank. it does have its down sides, purging the air out can be a nightmare but I will be fitting a three way valve to the loop so that during the event of a filter change I can swtch the loop to a full return and purge all the air back to the tank, this will also be good if your running diesel aswell. its very important to note that rotary pumps hate thick mixes, over hear we have lucas cav pumps that last less than a mile on anything other than real juice. all in all, if you have a bosch VE distributer pump attatched to your engine you could colstart and run on unrefined animal fallow, I have perfected my setup now and all that is needed to run 100%wmo below 0*c is a small shot of ether to take the load off of the starter.

Brad S.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Before I found the OB, I only ran a couple gallons per tank full of fuel.
Until I felt the engine could handle or felt/saw how it ran on higher percentage.
I would go with what Towcat said about start ups & shutdowns on clean diesel, I typically run a 75% wmo and 25% other,D2, RUG, extra fuel cleaner stuff.

AcIdBuRn02ZTS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What are you driving?

If its something like a newer common rail truck, I would say only a gallon or two per tank... if its an older mechanical diesel, depending on what it is, up to 100% if you have the vehicle setup for it. My buddies bone stock 7.3 IDI drinks w80 by that tank fulls without issue... Some engines love it... some dont.

psl sniper

Reaction score
Probably going to be a 1985 mercedes 300d. Seams to be what i can locate for now. May look for a 7.3 idi as well.

AcIdBuRn02ZTS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 300d is fairly forgiving... Talk to Josh Carmack as he has several running on up to 100% blends. I'd venture to say you could run 25-50% without any hassle at all... but I have 0 hands-on with the mercedes.

Last edited:

metrobruce

Reaction score
merc 300d are awsome cars, filter the oil and runn it. you will find yourself experimenting with more and more oil untill you are close to or are running 100%, I am running a peugeot tud5 engine with a bosch pump tuned for oil, I had smoke issues to start with but I have sorted them out with a few tweeks to timingh and fueling, the only thing that is an issue is the cold starting, a shot of ether is sorting it while the temps are below 0*c.

FarmerFrank

Full Access Member
Reaction score
merc 300d are awsome cars, filter the oil and runn it. you will find yourself experimenting with more and more oil untill you are close to or are running 100%, I am running a peugeot tud5 engine with a bosch pump tuned for oil, I had smoke issues to start with but I have sorted them out with a few tweeks to timingh and fueling, the only thing that is an issue is the cold starting, a shot of ether is sorting it while the temps are below 0*c.

A Peugeot?!? Talk about rare in the states. I've seen one Peugeot diesel car when I visited my brother in San Diego. The engine reminded a lot of a Perkins to look at. A guy near me is advertising just the engine here locally for a Peugeot and a gave it a lot of thought, until I tried finding replacement parts stateside. Then all thoughts got thrown out the window.

metrobruce

Reaction score
A Peugeot?!? Talk about rare in the states. I've seen one Peugeot diesel car when I visited my brother in San Diego. The engine reminded a lot of a Perkins to look at. A guy near me is advertising just the engine here locally for a Peugeot and a gave it a lot of thought, until I tried finding replacement parts stateside. Then all thoughts got thrown out the window.

breakers yards are full of old peugeot idi engines in the uk, I am not sure how much it would be to ship an engine over but It could be arranged, the tud5 diesel is 1500cc but usually come s with a lucas fuel pump which hate oil, I converted mine to a bosch setup. the 1.9 xud9a engines are awsome powerplants and there are some manual rwd gearboxes available (rover r380) for the xud9 making life easy if you were to fit such an engine to a small truck or minivan, both power plants are very easy to source and from a brakers would cost around $150-$200 for me to buy a complete engine and gearbox, if enough intrest in parts was shown in these small engines could shipping a container load to the us be usefull

leswhitt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I run a 7.3 IDI and 7.3 PSD at 100% W85 in the summer. My ISC 8.3 Cummins gets 50% W85 in the summer.