Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

ran and drove fine! was just ugly. turbo 300D

ran great! 240D 4spd manual. i went offroading in this benz several times

bought it with a knocking engine... swapped and sold

bought it not running. fuel rack was stuck. fixed and sold. notice euro headlights

72 450SLC one of my favorite mbz cars ever made. ugly to many

my euro spec 280e fuel injected DOHC 194hp 2.8L inline 6. classic M110... no cats :-D diesel vins :-D 4spd manual :-D

my 1987 w124 turbo 6cylinder.. om603. rocketship 149hp. one year only car. bought not running. battery and a oil leak. SLS... handles like a race car.. hauls like a truck

bought with a knocker... swapped and sold. 4spd 1 year only 240D w115 chassis.

tried to save her but too far gone.. little SOB made me lose a bearing on my trailer.. notice my rigging to get home :-D

/IMG_20110608_141335.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

swapped out bad trans.. slipped in 3rd and 4th. clean black interior.. non turbo 300d

Last edited:

NO_SPRK

User & Abuser
Reaction score

bought it with a hit rear quarter. drove it for 7months and finaly parted it out. also had a flare from 3-4 but it lasted the whole time.

another euro spec 4spd manual non turbo 300d with nasty green interior. ended up parting out because it smelled so bad like clove ciggs inside

my 1966 200D heckflosse (fintail) 4spd floor shift.. rare.. ox blood interior.

another 1987 turbo om603 1year only car. bought.. changed head to new 22 casting and sold

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
WOW!!!!! I'm jealous :D ...you need to bring that O309D down here sometime ;Sweet

Overall, that's quite a fleet!!! In addition to the 300SDL, I'd love to find a 300TD wagon in good shape with the third row seat...but, again, that's for the distant future...

Shadetreemechanic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
wow. that is quite the fleet. I had a 115 for a while but sold it because of the rust and a 126 that I bought as a non runner and flipped a couple of years back. I am aiming for 500K out of the 300td. At 400k I will buy another and begin going through it as a replacement.
From my perspective the 300TD wagon is one of the best vehicles ever built.

vegas39

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just looked at an 87 300 sdl today, nice car but I've read where the inline 6 had head cracking issues? The car kinda chugs at idle and smokes at idle, I passed up on it. The owner couldnt tell me anything about it and I said for 3500 bucks, it would have to run perfect.
My wife asked me if I was really serious about buying a hooptie old Mercedes and I said definately yes!

Why does it seem like the 190D goes for less money? Are they not as nice as the other models?
I'm new to the whole Mercedes learning thing, so go easy on me with the code names and numbers you guys use for different chassis and engines. :0)

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just looked at an 87 300 sdl today, nice car but I've read where the inline 6 had head cracking issues? The car kinda chugs at idle and smokes at idle, I passed up on it. The owner couldnt tell me anything about it and I said for 3500 bucks, it would have to run perfect.
My wife asked me if I was really serious about buying a hooptie old Mercedes and I said definately yes!

Why does it seem like the 190D goes for less money? Are they not as nice as the other models?
I'm new to the whole Mercedes learning thing, so go easy on me with the code names and numbers you guys use for different chassis and engines. :0)
the later 190D(iirc '86 and up) 5cyl is a rocketship without a turbo. the earlier 4cyl 190's were straight up turds.
there's a way to tell if the 300SDL has the updated cyl heads. you'll need to do some research for that though. as always, on a MBZ, everything else will eat you alive before the motor dies.

vegas39

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thats kinda interesting that they didnt use a turbo on certain models, why is that? I would think the more power they could get out of something, the better.
What do you guys think a 300 SDL from the 80's in nice shape is worth? I know the mileage will make a difference and as expected, they always have little nagging isssues with vacuum, a/c and they all seem to mark their territory.

NO_SPRK

User & Abuser
Reaction score
W126 om603 inline 6 is a great car..

You need to check cylinder head number. Google is your friend. The updated casting is 22. 16 17 are originals. Some crack and some dont. Thats alot of miles for the car. Its not worth 3500

vegas39

Full Access Member
Reaction score
W126 om603 inline 6 is a great car..

You need to check cylinder head number. Google is your friend. The updated casting is 22. 16 17 are originals. Some crack and some dont. Thats alot of miles for the car. Its not worth 3500

I never mentioned the miles.:dunno The miles on it were 240,000. The car is super clean. I get on ebay and cant believe the price range for an 80's model 300 sdl, they range from a couple thousand, all the way up to 20 grand! The car I was interested in here in Vegas, is also on ebay right now.
I just don't know what a real life reasonable price would be for one. Most owners think they are worth gold, perfect condition or not.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I never mentioned the miles.:dunno The miles on it were 240,000. The car is super clean. I get on ebay and cant believe the price range for an 80's model 300 sdl, they range from a couple thousand, all the way up to 20 grand! The car I was interested in here in Vegas, is also on ebay right now.
I just don't know what a real life reasonable price would be for one. Most owners think they are worth gold, perfect condition or not.
I found three mid 80's 300sdl's in the sfbayarea at the 2-2.5k price range.

vegas39

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was looking at the SF craigslist last night, lots of them up there for sale, not so many here.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online