towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
all these died a cruel death....
79 300 SD
81 300 SD
83 300 SD
all by the hands of one person. the spousal unit.
this one died not by her hands but by a head-on collision
87 190 D
fun car, no turbo but ran faster than the first three and a helluva lot faster!

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I currently don't have any M-B's, but I've owned three and have worked on a few others in the past...probably put about 100K miles on them altogether.

Had an '85 300D from 2002 until I made the mistake of giving it to my ex-girlfriend in '06:
You must be registered for see images attach

Had a '79 300SD from '06 until '09, that was a serious basket case...pretty much nothing on the car worked and it ate tires like they were BonBons, so when the transmission lost Reverse, she got parted out:

(interior being stripped out in this pic)

Finally, I had an '83 300D from '09 until 2011. For some reason, she did worse on fuel than the other two (averaged 22 to 23 mpg, compared to 27-30 for the '85 and 25 for the '79); sold her to a friend after buying my Jetta:

NO_SPRK

User & Abuser
Reaction score
sorry to hear about your luck with MBZs. your teal car looks great.. sadly i hate US spec W116 chassis cars. they are also alot older and heavier.. still a W116 car set alot of standards for cars today... first production ABS brakes.. the turbo diesel 116 had slighly less power and a different turbo. early models had no EGR (ask me how many i have hehe) but had "soft cams". early 1980 the cams changed to a longer lasting hardened metal.

w123 chassis are probably my favorite car of all time.. in euro spec. i am NOT a fan of the ralph nader diving board bumpers

I currently don't have any M-B's, but I've owned three and have worked on a few others in the past...probably put about 100K miles on them altogether.

Had an '85 300D from 2002 until I made the mistake of giving it to my ex-girlfriend in '06:

Had a '79 300SD from '06 until '09, that was a serious basket case...pretty much nothing on the car worked and it ate tires like they were BonBons, so when the transmission lost Reverse, she got parted out:

(interior being stripped out in this pic)

Finally, I had an '83 300D from '09 until 2011. For some reason, she did worse on fuel than the other two (averaged 22 to 23 mpg, compared to 27-30 for the '85 and 25 for the '79); sold her to a friend after buying my Jetta:

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
sorry to hear about your luck with MBZs. your teal car looks great.. sadly i hate US spec W116 chassis cars. they are also alot older and heavier.. still a W116 car set alot of standards for cars today... first production ABS brakes.. the turbo diesel 116 had slighly less power and a different turbo. early models had no EGR (ask me how many i have hehe) but had "soft cams". early 1980 the cams changed to a longer lasting hardened metal.

w123 chassis are probably my favorite car of all time.. in euro spec. i am NOT a fan of the ralph nader diving board bumpers
I wouldn't say I had bad luck, except with the W116...honestly, I wouldn't own another 116. Beyond that, I'd say that I had very good luck with them. The teal car was a great car...the only problems with that car were when my ex-gf took out the left front turn signal lens and put a nice dent in the corner -cuss and when I let her have the car...I made the mistake of picking the 116 over the teal 123, but hindsight's always 20/20, right?

The W123 and the OM617 are all but indestructible, and I would recommend one to anyone who's mechanically inclined but doesn't have a lot of money. If you want every last little thing to work perfectly, they'll nickel-and-dime you to death, but treat them right and live with minor issues and they'll run forever ;Sweet

I know the 603's not as reliable as the 617 is, but I'd love to find a cherry black-on-black 300SDL someday :D ...but, that's in the distant future...

Shadetreemechanic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Our 85 300TD is at 357k and will be hauling our pop up 7 hours to the beach next week. They are great cars. this pic is 6 years old from the day I brought it home. It was an ebay purchase from Pennsylvania.

Also pictured are two other great cars, our old rabbit, and a corner of my old IDI. That truck is almost to 350K now having been sold now twice in the community.

NO_SPRK

User & Abuser
Reaction score
Our 85 300TD is at 357k and will be hauling our pop up 7 hours to the beach next week. They are great cars. this pic is 6 years old from the day I brought it home. It was an ebay purchase from Pennsylvania.

Also pictured are two other great cars, our old rabbit, and a corner of my old IDI. That truck is almost to 350K now having been sold now twice in the community.

wow sounds good! i recommend full fluid replacement. especially the SLS (if you have a 300TD wagon, 300D is a sedan)

buy 2 cans of lubri moly diesel purge... monarch injector nozzles.... VALVE ADJUSTMENTS... motor mounts... transmission maintenance is also key

NO_SPRK

User & Abuser
Reaction score
Betcha you guys dont have one of these :-D a 1975 O309D... 3.8L direct injected inline 4... 5spd manual.. 17.5s.. sway bars front and rear.

air over juice brakes. all drum. turns on a dime.. rides like a caddy. screams like your sitting next to a 4v53 detroit.

cant get parts for it here except in Oregon from the Unimog guy. i used VW transporter wheel cylinder rebuild kits. factory either injection.

Last edited: