What makes these engines so gutless?

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im just rambling. My 6.9 is 420cuin. a gasser with the same size would run circles around our diesel.

What makes the diesel so much less powerful than a gasser of the same specs?

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
load 5 tons to each of them, and watch while you instantly sing a different tune.

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I dunno I put 3k behind mine and watch my friends with 302 fords and 350 Chevies pulling more weight fly past me

pickupman

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gutless? Doesn't bother me too much.

Sure my truck is slow, but I don't feel so bad when I speed past a 6.4 powerstroke broken down on the side of the road spewing out white smoke. True story.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Pretty equal towing. He already talked about his mileage differences. Better towing with his gasser, better empty with the idi.
Now put a good turbo on it, and there will be a difference.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Knuckledragger

blowing chunks and grabbing porcelain
Reaction score
When developing the engines for Ford, International was told not to make it more powerful than the 460 gasser, which in the bad old days of low compression-smog-CAFE standards only put out a couple hundred. Even in 1994, with the turbos as a stock option, the down pipe was so restricted that the diesel still only made 210 hp (to the 460's 215 or 220) The diesel option was just a nod to the growing popularity of diesel powered private vehicles in the early 1980s, not a true effort by Ford to put out work trucks with long lasting durable engines.

The V8 layout is also not an ideal form for diesel, it was called for to fit in the same space as the 460, and as some here have found, the Ford engine bay was not well suited to straight 6 diesel engines, which can make piles of HP and torque. Again, not desired by the wonks at Ford trying to keep the 460 as their premium engine.

The thing you need to remember is that even though they are not powerful, they will run a very long time past the time when the gassers are wheezing and need a rebuild.

One more item: HP ratings and $7 gets you a coffee at Starbucks. Torque is what gets work done and the diesels have gobs.

My N/A is rated at 170 hp and pulling a 4000 pound trailer up a 8% grade will only go 40 mph, but will do it all day long. Thanks goodness for the giant radiators.

Ruger_556

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 7.3 was fast with or without a trailer :dunno No turbo, completely stock... Even with 10,000 lbs behind it it wasn't bad, if your point of reference is a Duramax then yeah it's a dog but compared to anything of that era they're pretty decent really. No one says that 5.9's were under powered but same for same an IDI (at least the 7.3 iteration, can't speak for the 6.9) just runs away from it, a trailer that a 5.9 pulls up a grade at 35 the IDI can pull at 45-50 mph. Mileage and opinions will vary but that has been my experience with these trucks.

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my 7.3 with almost 400k miles now, was N/A before. it wasnt gutless, but it was slow.
Now with the S366 turbo, some small fuel upgrades and intercooler, it moves 8000 lbs pretty quick IMO. I can be cruising 80 mph on the freeway, roll into it and walk it up past 100 mph no problem. 3.73 gear and 37" tires.
Also made me smile when i cruised by a 6.0 psd that just puked its guts out on the freeway.

ANY n/a diesel will simply be low on power. just the nature of the beast. With a proper sized turbo you can achieve higher than 100% VE, while consuming less fuel than it was before.
turbo diesel, over a gasser for pulling any day of the week. The gasser will need RPM's...and a whole lotta fuel!

no mufflers

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
my dad has a 95 GMC 2500 with the 454 and when he first got it with 190,000 miles it still pulled pretty good. im not sure of the HP but it would out pull any N/A IDI, and im not trying to up talk Chevy's. with the current mods to my IDI im sure it would out pull it now. but I can get 10 MPG towing and any big block is around 6 MPG and under, 8 if your lucky.

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^this is empty or towing?

If empty something is up. I can hit 18-19 on average doing 75 on the freeway, and mine weights 8k lbs turning 37s..

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^this is empty or towing?

If empty something is up. I can hit 18-19 on average doing 75 on the freeway, and mine weights 8k lbs turning 37s..
Towing. I get about 2 mpg more empty.i have never seen more than 16 mpg.truck runs nice and smooth.starts up with no shakes or smoke or glows unless really cold.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online