What kind of transmission?

GaPchNCrm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know a 5 speed manual is a ZF5... I have a 2000 F-450, that has 6 speed. 1-5, reverse, and a "low" gear. Isnt there a ZF6, and if so is that what I have? If that isnt what I have, then what do I have? Thanks for any help.... and if you happen to have such a critter for sale, please do tell me about it. There is a reason Im needing this info- the hunt is on for a replacement one :rolleyes:

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
you have a ZF6
they are prone for failure when the oil lube pump dies. these transmissions need external cooling or they overheat.
what is happening with yours?

GaPchNCrm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you have a ZF6
they are prone for failure when the oil lube pump dies. these transmissions need external cooling or they overheat.
what is happening with yours?

LOL its more like what HASN'T happened with that truck.

about a month ago I was hauling down the road and the drive shaft parted ways in the middle, one half was in the median of I85, the other was on the right shoulder. How I DIDN'T kill anyone is still a source of amazement to me. Got that fixed- somewhat- and got it back about 10 days ago. It hasnt been quite right since. Shifts funny... just wasnt how it was when the drive shaft incident happened. BTW- that sounds like a bomb going off under your truck... I have claw marks in my headliner from that one. However I digress..... I was on my way home from a barrel race tonight and the truck just lost power- not engine related but pulling power. It would go into low and 1st, but nothing higher than that. Tried to use low to get it out of the road and lost both of those too after a few minutes. When you put it in gear it makes a grinding noise, like gears spinning but not engaging. So..... pretty sure Im going to be replacing the transmission. Yay.