What kind of boost/EGT's do YOU see?

fsr7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That reminds me - I have a ball bearing in the little rubber wastgate line on the 7.3 stock turbo that should stop the function of the wastegate - thats not in the sig

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interesting project. I think it might last pretty long if you have an intercooler and head studs plus newer head gaskets. I'd invest in turbo pistons and rods and try to reduce the compression a bit since it would be a custom build anyways. Wish I had some numbers....soon but not yet :)

82F100SWB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Currently, with some leaks on the pressure side, mine runs 12 psi tops, and even with spinning 3500 in 4th for miles, I've never seen the EGT's past 800.
Back when it was -40, I could make 16-17 psi pretty easily, but, the leaks on the pressure side weren't anywhere near what they are now.... I buggered the studs on the DS manifold trying to tighten it up...

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The stormtroopers have perverted this thread....:backoff:backoff:backoff:backoff
Bringing it back on track.....
Did a quick hop to Reno, NV and back yesterday. While running 8k gross, 6lbs boost, 6%grade, at the 7277ft level, 5th gear, approx 2200-2400rpm, roughly 70mph, I managed to top out at 800 deg on the pyro;Sweet Plenty of throttle left and no lack of butt-o-meter power. Oh yea outside temps of 90deg. On my way back, I saw the same temps at the top of 580w/b @ North Flynn rd. Cruise was engaged. Total trip miles 526. 37gallons consumed. Not the greatest mileage, but I drive the way I like to.

Last edited:

Jim73

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Boy, hearing the EGTs you guys with ICs are seeing, I REALLY want one...

Wastegated ATS, stock pump (turned up per ATS specs) and injectors with 109k miles, pulling a 6500 lb TT, I could easily see 900 on a post-turbo Isspro pyro install on most of the grades on I-5 northbound in CA and OR (through Shasta and the Siskiyous) last summer. I'd back off slightly as she passed through 850 and never exceeded 875, but I had lots of pedal left and was completely EGT-limited (Again, this is a POST turbo thermocouple location. Yeah, I know - I was lazy; the fitting was there when I got the truck.). I have been pleasantly suprised by how instantly responsive the pyro is in the downpipe location - from what guys said I was expecting the lag to be terrible.

No boost numbers, since I ended up putting a REAL coolant temp gauge where I'd planned to have boost after a very hot and scary trip when I learned about the poor accuracy of the stock temp gauge system. Maybe later this summer I'll install a few more gauges - boost, trans temp, oil pressure...

Driveway idle, after full warmup, drops to 200-250 if I'm patient (normally shut her down around 275 when cooling the turbo down, though).

Running light, moderate grades, normally see 600-650 at 65 mph or so.

Jim

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
When hualing the rig last weekend it I cruisng around 7 PSI, when I hammered it, the needle would PEG 15 PSI (maxon the guage) with the propane on. I can usuallyl hit 15 about anytime even without a load. I usually keep it under 12/13 when hauling.

Pyro was running around 950.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online