What is the best power adder?

Max Power

Reaction score
What is the best way to add power to a dodge? Edge?

russs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Depends how much ya want! Edge is a good start...

Mild = Edge EZ
Wild = Edge Comp

I've got a Diesel Dynamics Ultimate Fueling Module - Same as an Edge Comp. I love it, but make sure the rest of your drivetrain is able to handle it. It will trash a stock clutch or auto in a hurry.

NWDave

Reaction score
Matter of fact, this is a good place to beat the drum about gauges. Any Dodge diesels out there that don't know about the NEED for gauges, specifically a fuel pressure gauge, egt gauge, tranny temp gauge (for autos), boost (not mandatory but a nice to have for some but imperative for others) need to get the straight scoop about the need of installing gauges as your first bombing step. Definitely want to do this prior to looking at power upgrades (performance boxes and injector upgrades). If you're an auto (Dodge) and want to do performance bombing, you better have a serious look at the tranny. Same is sorta true for you stick guys. The stock auto tranny just won't handle the serious bombing we seem to get into (we call it the slippery slope). It's a fact, live with it. You stay stock, get the gauges. The stock lift pump/injection pump setup leave alot to be desired and its nice to have fuel pressure gauge monitoring your fuel pressure. EGT's? Exhaust Gas Temperatures need to be monitored, especially if you're towing or chasing that ricer down the road. Too hot, bye bye turbo.
Perhaps a simplistic approach but it's your baby to protect.

~Dave

Got Smoke?

The Smokey One
Reaction score
Now that the guage issue is outta the way we can get back to POWER! :rock:

For a 24V Cummins the best power addition is a Box, such as the Edge Comp or the TST Power Max 3.

For a 12V Cummins the best power addition is a Torque/Fuel/Cam Plate for the injection pump. Man when I put my #10 in for the first time my truck CAME ALIVE!:eek: :dude:

Now if I just hadn't fried that clutch in July! :oops: :cry:

jarhead

comfortably numb
Reaction score
Don't forget the Edge Drag comp, the comp defuels at 2700rpm, the drag comp pulls to 3200rpm.

MarkSmith

Reaction score
Bang for buck I would say Edge Drag Comp........ then some 3's........... then a PDR40........... (Oh I forgot between the comp and 3's insert built auto or stout clutch)........... Its a slippery slope (most call it that... I call it a SICKNESS)

Hello all, My name is Mark... and I am a BOMBaholic.

Seriously though, you should go with a comp (drag version or no drag version) You can plug it in and not tap the wire and have the same thing as pluggin in an EZ but when you want the power (believe me you will want more power) you can tap the wire and go from there.

If you are just looking for a combo that will rock for pulling, I would suggest an EZ (or loose wire comp) and some 2's (right now EDM's are the way to go) This combo is great for towing and getting decent mileage is no problem.

I will again stress the importance of gauges. Pyrometer, Boost, Fuel Pressure is a must (and tranny temp for auto owners) I replaced my Lift pump before 20K and at 35K It is due for another. This 150 dollar part if not replaced when bad will take out your VP44 due to lack of lubrication from the fuel.

Take it easy
Mark

NWDave

Reaction score
OK, I've heard just enough about the EDM's to have my interest piqued. Just thinking downrange abit, not trying to even think about slipping further down the slippery slope......(yeah sure, the only one I'm kidding is myself :D ) Right now I have DD2's. Thinking about DD3's. So now, EDM's are getting rave reviews from people whose opinions I respect, nudge, nudge, wink, wink... What is the EDM equivalent for DD3's? How do they compare in price? If the price difference is significant, is it worth the extra buck?

~Dave

MarkSmith

Reaction score
Oh boy now the hard questions are out. The EDMs are only a couple hundred more than DD injectors now. They used to be a lot higher until Bosch raised their prices on injectors. (Dont quote me on this but I think a M1.5 is same as DD2's and there is a 200 dollar differance if you buy in December due to 100 bucks off) I am not sure about the equivalent. A M2 is 100 HP sticks and they go up from there. IMHO the EDMs are worth their money. You will see more torque throughout and you will make less smoke. I will be throwing a set on mine in the NEAR future.

Take care
Mark

Mad Bomber

Reaction score
From everything I've seen the EDM's are cooler running with less smoke and more low end grunt. That's just from what I've seen from people who have them.

JR2

Reaction score
Jammers...

You might be interested to know that DD is coming out with EDM injectors early next year.. calling them the jammer series. No idea on cost but it sounds like the power levels (HP) will be the same as in DD1=Jammer 1. I do know the jammers are 8 hole injectors too.

Best bang for the buck in bombing.... well that depends. If you have an HO motor then injectors, if you have a ETC then a box.

What ever you do be sure to go to the maximum HP you will want right away. I bombed in stages and it cost big $$ Take my injectors for instance.. started with RV275's, went to DD3's and soon on to supermentals (already have them). With my turbos.. went to a Piers HX35 then to a PDR HX40...now I want twins. Boxes- started with a "Power Edge" then added a EZ, then went to a Drag Comp.... you get the idea.

JR2

Jethro

Reaction score
ditto on the injectors first in the ETH. I will be getting the comp next but the injectors really woke this truck up. EDM's are the way to go , I just couldn't pass up the deal I got on my II's.
-Jethro

NWDave

Reaction score
Bombing in stages keeps our suppliers happy. And that is one of many curses when being attacked by the Bombing Bug. You get to a certain level, stay there for a bit, then, well, perhaps some more hp would be better........ and on and on. At least with groups like these, we can ask about something new and get answers from people who have done the same research or are using them or whatever. (Plus, it's nice to know you're not alone on the slippery slope :D :D )

~Dave

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wheelsrollin

Members online