What is the advantage of an electric Fuel pump? Pros and cons?

7.3 man

7.3 idi man
Reaction score
I'm installing a new fuel pump cause mine is bad,diaphram split and loosing prime. I'm thinking of switching to an electric pump like the green one I see or the holley red pump. I was wondering what pros would a mechanical have over electric or vise versa. I need to start makin a decision soon, cause summer is coming and the hey needs hauled. I need some sound advice before I do this so I'll be doin the right thing.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pros:
Super easy to prime the system after any fuel service (filter, IP, injectors, caps......), saving battery and starter life. This alone is enough for me to have them on my IDI's.
No diaphram to fail and leak fuel into the oil.... potentially killing the bearings/engine.
Can be wired with an oil pressure safety switch.
Tons of options, many of which can supply more fuel than the stocker for mod'ed fuel systems.

Cons:
Failure away from home means it's less likely to find an exact replacement at your typical autoparts store (depending on what you are running).
Less tolerant of junk fuel.

Heath

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
they don't last is the thing.i tried the green one.the diesel rated 12D and it only went one year then just died.
after i dunno how long,someone just recently reported a duralift failed early out of i dunno how many of us running the things.
those pumps they run on the refer trucks.there's a group buy thread on here.
someone reported motorcraft/beru gp's failed and stuck in the heads too......but iv also only read of that once,know what i mean?
it's all about finding the good part that has the small % failure rating.anything can fail,it's all about the odds.

gandalf

Reaction score
I might just get a mr gasket pump, 35 GPH, If you were me what would you do?

What would I do? The first thing I'd do is forget about that Mr Gasket pump. I have one of their fuel pressure gauges, and it leaks and the glass is fogged over. It falls into the category of a genuine POS gauge. It's scheduled for replacement.

Then I would agree with the previous poster. Get a Carrier/Facet pump. They're made to run on a refer, all day every day.

7.3 man

7.3 idi man
Reaction score
I'll look at them right now. :) Thanks I just looked at them and They look like a solid pump but the pressure is what concerns me.

Last edited:

gatorman21218

Reaction score
Pros:
Super easy to prime the system after any fuel service (filter, IP, injectors, caps......), saving battery and starter life. This alone is enough for me to have them on my IDI's.

Heath

With all my recent fueling problems, I just put a primer bulb in and it works great for priming the system. I put it on the frame and its a whole lot cheaper than an electric pump.

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What's this primer bulb look like? I'm thinking of the boat style primer handles, but that doesn't seem sturdy enough.

I've never had any issues priming my system with a mechanical pump. Shouldn't need to do it that often. Pump and injectors are good for 100K plus and fuel filter doesn't get changed that often either.

DesertBen44

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you do the facet duralift (carrier) Pump, I did a writeup with tons of pictures that makes it VERY easy to install, its in the tech articles.

I would also avoid the MR gasket pump like the plague!

the facet duralift pump has...
-a built in fuel screen and bowl, so its kind of a easy to clean pre filter, which is nice

- a built in check valve, which helps a TON with air intrusion, at least it helped me.

- I put mine in over a year ago and have never had a problem with it

I would highly reccomend the pump, especially if you can still get in on the good price from genlightning!

The main con of mechanical and reason I went to electric was that all the mechanical pumps made for this truck are pretty much cheap junk at this point. My airtex replacement failed after a few weeks.

gatorman21218

Reaction score
thats excactly what it is. an outboard engine squeeze bulb. If it goes bad and leaks its no big deal its only 20 bucks and it saved that much worth of batteries already

7.3 man

7.3 idi man
Reaction score
If you do the facet duralift (carrier) Pump, I did a writeup with tons of pictures that makes it VERY easy to install, its in the tech articles.

I would also avoid the MR gasket pump like the plague!

the facet duralift pump has...
-a built in fuel screen and bowl, so its kind of a easy to clean pre filter, which is nice

- a built in check valve, which helps a TON with air intrusion, at least it helped me.

- I put mine in over a year ago and have never had a problem with it

I would highly reccomend the pump, especially if you can still get in on the good price from genlightning!

The main con of mechanical and reason I went to electric was that all the mechanical pumps made for this truck are pretty much cheap junk at this point. My airtex replacement failed after a few weeks.
What would the name of the article write up be that you done?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
My feeling is to use the known Carrier facut pump and have a spare behind the seat. Your probably never going to use or need it but insurance is the same thing.. You have it hopeing you never need or use it but you have it just in case.. A spre pump will get you home no doughts about it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jchellen2

Members online