What is a normal cold start like?

Number21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just bought an '83 F250 with the 6.9L. It's just an old beater, I don't expect much from it. Mileage unknown, very well used. When the engine is hot, it starts immediately. Cold start is a little rough, but I'm not sure what is normal for these engines? The glow plugs have been converted to full manual operation. I hold the button for 10 seconds or so, then crank. How much cranking is normal for a cold start? (70 degrees outside) It cranks for about 5-10 seconds before it finally fires. First 20-30 seconds I get a lot of white smoke, and then it mostly clears out.

I know it's a big, old, cold blooded beast, and I don't expect instant starts...just wondering what is "normal"...

Waystro

No Class
Reaction score
My old 6.9 would start instant in those temps. But she had new Glow Plugs
The 86 in my Sig had autolights wouldn't start with out Starter Fluid in those temps.

Reaction score
My 91 lights off as fast as I can turn the key, even when cold. Maybe a second of hesitation on really cold days (by San Diego standards), but still fires up faster than my newer gasser vehicles.

Mike

Number21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How should I be operating the glow plugs manually? How long do I push the button, and, at what temperature should they not be needed?

I'm not really worried about it, just getting to know it's eccentricities. I'll use the block heater most of the time.

KZF250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Coldest its been here since I replaced plugs and converted to manual has been about 50*. Hold button for 8-10 sec and activate high idle (manual button and push peddle) it starts in 2-3 sec...after starting I hit the plugs for 1-2 sec once or twice cuz that's what auto system did and it seems to clear out the smoke.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
does it run a bit rough initially while youre seeing smoke?
my 89 takes a bit to start, but has known air intrusion issues.
my 87(when it has a engine in it) starts up immediately.

Number21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
does it run a bit rough initially while youre seeing smoke?
A little bit, but not enough to surprise me given the age/condition of this truck. It seems a lot like an old carbureted gas motor. After a few seconds it smooths out and cleans up.

I'm still working on going through the truck, replacing all the filters and fluids, and replacing some old rubber stuff. Already seems to be running better than when I got it. This thing looks stupid simple compared to my 6 liter...

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
thats because they are stupid simple.

if it runs great when warm, it should do the same when cold also, after the issues are cured.

my condolences on the 6leaker.

TahoeTom

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A word of caution using the block heater, the early 6.9 blocks are prone to cracking in the area of the block heater. The later 6.9 reinforced the block heater area (mid 85 I think). Have you checked the glow plugs? They should be Motorcraft (Beru) brand. Other brands are known to swell and are difficult to remove, maybe as bad as requiring head removal. I have a push button on mine and it seems cold blooded. Maybe I don't hold them long enough, usually 10 seconds. I then crank a couple revolutions, then glow again for 8 to 10 and it starts. This is for temps below 50 or so. I am at 6300 ft elevation and starting seems much easier at low elevation. If I am at sea level it seems to start much quicker with only one glow cycle.

Number21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A word of caution using the block heater, the early 6.9 blocks are prone to cracking in the area of the block heater.
I've read about that. My original block heater looks heavily used (cord is beat up and melted), and not cracked, but after what I've read, I'm not going to use it. I am going to install a cheap circulating tank type heater and one of those heating pads on the oil pan.

A lot of the time I don't drive far enough to get a big diesel engine up to temp, so I've got a pretty big block heater habit. I also don't like not having heat in the winter. LOL

I haven't had time to check the glow plugs yet, beyond the light comes on and I hear a big relay thunk when I push the button. They could be half dead for all I know. Also good to know the block heater is there if the glow plugs fail, as failure prone as they are. I'll keep a can of ether in the tool box just in case. :D

Last edited:

Number21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How long am I "allowed" to push the glow plug button before they can burn out? I tried them right after cold startup today, it definitely cleared out the white smoke much faster. I think my batteries may be a bit weak though...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Seven4eight

Members online