What IP to use?

crazy4wdracer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just bought a package deal of 3 injector pumps. 1 is a freshly rebuilt 6.9 pump, it's never been used since it's been rebuilt. 1 is a used 7.3 NA pump that is used, I don't plan on using this one. The other is a rebuilt pump off a Factory Turbo 7.3, I was installed on an NA truck for a month but he said it was pumping too much fuel and needs recalibrated. He said it would be good for a truck that has an aftermarket turbo on it. Is this true and would it be the best pump to run on my truck in my signature?

Thanks! and PS...I will be selling the used pump and one of the rebuilt ones depending on which one would be best for me to use.

93f250idi

strokin
Reaction score
since you have a turbo truck, I would use the turbo calibrated pump, and sell the other 2. supposedly the turbo pumps have different timing curves but I dont know anything about pumps thats just what ive heard.

alienturtle

Human
Reaction score
seeing how you have an ats system on your truck in your sig i would use the factory turbo pump and have it timed from there. im sure the moose man will chim in shortly

OnDaRoad

On the road ....
Reaction score
Where did you get your package deal?

Where did you get your package deal :confused:

Anything rebuilt is only as good as the guy who rebuilt it or the
last person who laid a tool on it ......

Experience has shown me before I install an injector, pump, anything
requiring calibration to operate properly - I make sure it is correctly
operating ;Really

Jim

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Any injection pump can be turned up or down. I don't understand why the po didn't know to turn down the fuel if he was seeing lots of smoke... True... A pump setup for a turbo will run fine with a turbo motor but... Without a pyro and boost gauge your just running blind. Things can happen like melted pistons if the heat isn't monitered.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The only concern I would have is how will the factory turbo pump respond to being used with other non G-code injectors? In any case hang on to that turbo pump it would be a great core for a Moose or other "hot" pump. Yes the quality of the rebuilder determines how good the pump is. Mel's builder is very good, and there are many local fuel injection and turbo shops that do quality work, others, not so much. Since you don't know, I guess you'll just have to run it and see. I had some problems with a cheap build a few years ago, it didn't save money and I got good enough at swapping IPs that I could do it in a half hour or so, but that was back in the pre turbo days.

crazy4wdracer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got them on craigslist. It was a local diesel shop that rebuilt them. I have pyro and boost gauges. I'm not sure why he didn't try to adjust the pump either, must not have known how to do it.

BrandonMag

Dana 50 rebuilder
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I realize this probably isn't going to be a popular bit of information, but here goes: I've been told (by none other than Russ himself) that there's no difference in any of the 7.3 IPs.

That's right: from the factory the NA IPs spit out just as much fuel as the turbo IPs.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I realize this probably isn't going to be a popular bit of information, but here goes: I've been told (by none other than Russ himself) that there's no difference in any of the 7.3 IPs.

That's right: from the factory the NA IPs spit out just as much fuel as the turbo IPs.

That's probably also true, the difference is in the timing/fueling curves. What do I mean by that? I mean if you have an IDI hooked up to a dynamic timing meter, either luminosity or pulse, you'll notice that at idle the timing is extremely advanced, say something BTDC with luminosity and maybe 20* BTDC with pulse, alright so as you increase throttle the timing retards somewhat, till it's around 8.5 +-2 pulse or 1.5-ish luminosity at the reference of 2000 rpm (pulse) or 1400 luminosity, as you give it more throttle from there, the timing retards even further. I'm pretty sure that the Moose and DPS pumps avoid retarding the timing so soon so that you can pull hard right up to the redline. Now not so sure what the turbo pump does but I'll bet the timing and fueling curves are the difference not the absolute amount of fuel that they can spit out. It makes sense this would be the same without significant internal changes because all 7.3 pumps ae basically the same size and use identical .0031" plungers, the 6.9 pumps use .0029" plungers, ergo they aren't as popular as cores. Someone who knows what they're doing can machine the plunger holes out but it'll cost you more.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bob123456789

Members online