What in the wild world of sports is this?

Scotty4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What is this filter for? Anyone have a good number. Traced the lines and it has one hard line to the lift pump and one hard line that changes to a soft line on the rail just before the water separator and goes straight to the rear tank. Hadn’t paid much mind to it before as there were leaves nestled in front of it.

Also, what is the connector on top of it for?

You must be registered for see images attach

aggiediesel01

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is that to the outside of the brake booster? Didn't the early 6.9s have a water separator/fuel heater there? I seem to remember folks reported that those units had a lot of issues with leaks and it was common to bypass/remove/substitute the old factory one. Maybe this is someone's version of a replacement? Looks like the connector on top might have been for the heater that used to plug in there.

https://www.oilburners.net/threads/6-9-water-separator-valve.70854/

https://www.oilburners.net/threads/6-9-water-separator.62943/

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
Is that to the outside of the brake booster? Didn't the early 6.9s have a water separator/fuel heater there? I seem to remember folks reported that those units had a lot of issues with leaks and it was common to bypass/remove/substitute the old factory one. Maybe this is someone's version of a replacement? Looks like the connector on top might have been for the heater that used to plug in there.

https://www.oilburners.net/threads/6-9-water-separator-valve.70854/

https://www.oilburners.net/threads/6-9-water-separator.62943/

Yep, that's what it looks like to me, an aftermarket replacement. That's where the OEM W/S is on my 87 F250 6.9.

The Racor I pulled from a junk yard IDI truck and have on my RV (it's W/S was gone) was in the same spot, somebody replaced it like with yours.

Scotty4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Interesting, thanks! The water separator in the frame is definitely bypassed as well. Should I try to find a replacement filter? All I can read on it is “gasoline” and nothing else.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
Interesting, thanks! The water separator in the frame is definitely bypassed as well. Should I try to find a replacement filter? All I can read on it is “gasoline” and nothing else.

Huh? The W/S should be where that thing in the picture is.

It's only down on the frame on vans. I replaced the missing stock one with a Racor in the same place:

Are you confusing the fuel tank selector valve on the frame for a water separator?

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
If it says GASOLINE on a green sticker like this instead of DIESEL on a yellow sticker like above, then somebody either changed the truck to diesel, or they put a gasoline tank selector valve:

aggiediesel01

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Looks like it's see better days. It might be easier to get a new water separator header and filter that is newer/more available. Or if you do have a W/S and filter somewhere else already then this one can just go away. Search for what some of the other 6.9 guys are replacing theirs with like in those threads and others.

Scotty4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was under the impression this is the water separator. It’s not hooked up currently. Really need to get a big shop when I move so I can tear this thing down and redo it.

aggiediesel01

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interesting....Could be....It kind of looks like a filter dryer for an A/C system turned on it side but I doubt that's actually what it is. It doesn't look like anything that came from Ford though. If it's not hooked up, loose the dead weight.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
I was under the impression this is the water separator. It’s not hooked up currently. Really need to get a big shop when I move so I can tear this thing down and redo it.

Doesn't look stock installed to me.

The way ford did it on the vans was they had the w/s within a cage and it had a cable linkage going up to a handle under the driver's seat for draining.

That's the empty cage where the w/s was on my RV.

Yes, i realize you have a truck, just mentioning how Ford did actual w/s frame rail installations.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
You know, it almost looks like these Facet fuel pumps, but much bigger. Could it be a fuel pump of some kind?

Scotty4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You know, it almost looks like these Facet fuel pumps, but much bigger. Could it be a fuel pump of some kind?

Maybe. It does have wiring to it. It being not hooked up is a pain. I’ll drop it out of there tomorrow and report back.