What does this do ?

dogbone73

Reaction score
In the picture below it's on my idi just like all idi's before the transmission right next to the oil filter was looking at my starter the other day a seeing if I had any rust from crappy road salt n noticed it has me curious, also any one have a good free place to look up all the parts to 93 non turbo idi.

Example wire specs n so on. Seen a idi in scrapyard all but the transmission is there an was going to use it for parts or rebuilt it's a 93 7.3 motor is half there but parts I got off it is the reason I ask

You must be registered for see images attach

Ok... It’s a “TRN-APR” (trailing relative negative air pressure regulator). It maintains the necessary negative air pressure inside the torque converter housing (relative to the air speed passing by underneath the truck, so the transmission oil pump seal doesn’t get sucked in to the transmission.
Really.... I swear... haha..
Yeah I’m full of it..
But honestly I think it’s just a tell-tail weep hole to allow any seal failure to show itself before it gets to bad. It’s not really needed. But if you do have a rear main that wants to **** on you a little while you’re driving, it will tend to show itself there instead of just crawling back along the entire width of the cover (in theory). In reality, the oil is gonna go where it wants to.
Which as some have already stated, makes for a pretty good rust proofing. I actually read, some years ago, that some guys up north (you know; up where it snows more and they put a lot of that “car-away” automotive dissolvent that slowly hides your truck from you.. stuff on the roads) spray used engine oil all over the under carriage. I don’t think I would want to do that.
Also, my truck says it’s a 1993 f-250.
But, I have never, and I mean NEVER been able to get the right parts for my truck by just letting the parts guy look it up.
I’m the 2nd owner and the original owner took it to the dealer regularly.
I’ve always had to take the parts in and let them search the shelves to get the right one and do comparisons. Things like universal joints need to be bigger than the ones that the parts guy says it should be. And I’m not talking about one parts place.. all of them. I could go on about other parts to but I’m already put a lot of text down here...
I think it was a Friday truck. You know the last one at the end of the day on Friday when everybody was headed out the door. They just took whatever they had and through it on it and sent it down the line..
Still love it. It’s one hell of a truck.

madpogue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok... It’s a “TRN-APR” (trailing relative negative air pressure regulator). It maintains the necessary negative air pressure inside the torque converter housing (relative to the air speed passing by underneath the truck, so the transmission oil pump seal doesn’t get sucked in to the transmission.
Really.... I swear... haha..
Yeah I’m full of it...
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online