What does this do ?

Jason1377

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In the picture below it's on my idi just like all idi's before the transmission right next to the oil filter was looking at my starter the other day a seeing if I had any rust from crappy road salt n noticed it has me curious, also any one have a good free place to look up all the parts to 93 non turbo idi.

Example wire specs n so on. Seen a idi in scrapyard all but the transmission is there an was going to use it for parts or rebuilt it's a 93 7.3 motor is half there but parts I got off it is the reason I ask

You must be registered for see images attach

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
That engine has a horrible main seal leak and the owner installed a drain tube.. Not what should have been done. Fix the leak was the better idea.

Jason1377

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That engine has a horrible main seal leak and the owner installed a drain tube.. Not what should have been done. Fix the leak was the better idea.
It's a og 93 idi and I'm the 3rd owner n have all the matience records original motor as well and it was a seal leak can I just replace all of it. Also @79jasper will that drain tube effect anything since ive owned the truck never had an issue with shifting gears though it's a e40d, other the a vss needed a cleaning a basic maintenance

nostrokes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's a og 93 idi and I'm the 3rd owner n have all the matience records original motor as well and it was a seal leak can I just replace all of it. Also @79jasper will that drain tube effect anything since ive owned the truck never had an issue with shifting gears though it's a e40d, other the a vss needed a cleaning a basic maintenance

That drain tube has nothing to do with how the truck will perform.

genscripter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks like just a drain tube on the flexplate/flywheel cover.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

On all my later year IDI's, they had that drain tube on the flywheel cover. But my early year ones didn't. I just assumed it was something stock with the 90's years models.

The early year flywheel covers (in my experience) had a small weep hole at the lowest point. I don't think it was the purposeful intention of the PO to install this drain bib to cover up a rear main seal issue. But who knows.

Jason1377

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That drain tube has nothing to do with how the truck will perform.

Ok cool I've seen it on one other truck in scrapyard close to me that I've got parts for my truck from have just been curious as to what ur was. Thanks guys for answering.

I periodically run thru a full truck wash station that does top an under truck washing n seen it figured i ask since still learning more bout idi's

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The flywheel covers (zf5/t19) do not have the tube but gills. The flex plate covers on all E40ds have this tube. C6 flex plate cover has a small vent

nostrokes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The flywheel covers (zf5/t19) do not have the tube but gills. The flex plate covers on all E40ds have this tube. C6 flex plate cover has a small vent

My cover doesn't have that tube... But then again nothing on my e4 has been standard it seems..

Last edited:

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
My 89 rig with the original E4OD did not have this not again..who really knows.BTW I have never seen this drain tube in any wrecking yard trucks.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hmm all our e40ds have it... maybe that’s the secret to why our Texas trucks stay rust free? Not that it has anything to do with salt

rwk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ours also, they fell off by the time they got to Cal., made just down the road from me! lol

Jason1377

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My title says 1993 my sticker on driver's door says Nov 1992 so just has me rubbing head as to what yr it is n the VIN says 1993 as well so I know most time a rig is made then sold a few months later

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My title says 1993 my sticker on driver's door says Nov 1992 so just has me rubbing head as to what yr it is n the VIN says 1993 as well so I know most time a rig is made then sold a few months later
Did you know you can buy a 2019 Kia already?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramtough01

Members online