What do you think about this deal?

saburai

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
personally, I'd never buy a truck with 2WD.....but that's just me.....

I did, it was NA too. I can attest to the underwhelming power with the NA engine. It was so bad for towing, I put a turbo kit on it(thanks Russ!). Then I Got stuck with it and the trailer. Sold it to @chillman88 and bought a 4×4 idit. I guess it all depends on what your needs are...

saburai

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
very very true. I just picked up another late 90's TDI. I've been wanting a block so I could rebuild it as a backup for my current TDI which is at 370K mileage. The seller wanted the upper bound of KBB (around $3K) for his whole car. While the car was rustfree, it was not "mint." I said I'm literally only buying this for the engine, so I'm offering a few hundred bucks. He got upset and I gave him my contact info. I knew no one was going to pay his number, let alone "good" or "fair" KBB prices. The demand here in L.A. for TDI's dropped to nil after Dieselgate.

After three months of no takers, he was getting desperate. He dipped to $2500, and $2100. He reached out to me to see if I'm interested in $1700, and I still turned it down. He didn't realize this TDI had non-CA emissions and it would take some work to register and inspect it here in CA. People were not interested in the TDI, even though he did a bunch of decent engine work on the TDI and put in something like $3000 in TDI parts on the vehicle in the last 2 years (receipts as proof).

Eventually I got it for my original asking price because he wanted it gone before he had to pay for another month of garage parking. Also, he couldn't get it started because of an IP issue and dead battery. He was upset because he put so much money in that car but didn't get any of that money back. That's just how it goes. You can toss so much money at a vehicle, but you probably won't get any of that back when you sell.

I had the TDI towed to my garage, and within 45 minutes I had boosted the battery, jumped the fuel solenoid, installed a clean fuel filter, and purged the air from the injector lines. Got it running.
Not to derail the thread, but what did you get? I just recently got a AHU from a '98 Jetta that I'll be swapping in to our '96 Tracker. The more I learn about the TDI engines, the more impressive they are...

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I did, it was NA too. I can attest to the underwhelming power with the NA engine. It was so bad for towing, I put a turbo kit on it(thanks Russ!). Then I Got stuck with it and the trailer. Sold it to @chillman88 and bought a 4×4 idit. I guess it all depends on what your needs are...

That's why you buy two! A 4x4 for when you need it, and a 2wd when you don't LOL

That's also EXACTLY why my Dually is getting a 4wd swap!

genscripter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not to derail the thread, but what did you get? I just recently got a AHU from a '98 Jetta that I'll be swapping in to our '96 Tracker. The more I learn about the TDI engines, the more impressive they are...

98 jetta AHU. Same as my existing 98 jetta AHU with 370K.

The seller was totally confounded when I showed up driving my Jetta to test drive his Jetta. He literally asked, "What, you want another one of these?" I guess he'd never seen anyone buy a car just for parts.

saburai

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
98 jetta AHU. Same as my existing 98 jetta AHU with 370K.

The seller was totally confounded when I showed up driving my Jetta to test drive his Jetta. He literally asked, "What, you want another one of these?" I guess he'd never seen anyone buy a car just for parts.

OK, now I know who's brain I'm going to pick;) Any mods on your Jetta?

nelstomlinson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The demand here in L.A. for TDI's dropped to nil after Dieselgate.

After three months of no takers, he was getting desperate.
If he'd brought it up here, he probably could have gotten his asking price, particularly if the computer still had the old, cheating software.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online