What do you add to your fuel?

Lithgow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have always heard its a good idea to add 2 stroke ashless oil to the fuel to help with the ultra low sulfer diesel. Also heard of using atf. What do you add to the fuel, and how much? What about all this "son, just dump the old motor oil in there, it loves it!" Any problems with some of this stuff?

Reaction score
Fuel additives is a topic that's been discussed quite a bit on here. One of the studies commonly referenced is this one:

http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/76.../177728-lubricity-additive-study-results.html

I ran PS Diesel Kleen (w/cetane boost) for a while, but then I began to run Howe's Diesel Treat (NOT the Meaner Power Kleener) for the last few months. No appreciable difference from my perspective, although when I replaced the fuel filter about a week ago I filled it with Howe's first. She REALLY seemed to like that. As for qty, when I ran PS I was running a bottle meant to treat 100 gallons and I would simply split it between the two tanks. For Howe's, I would run the smaller bottles when I could find them, but they're kinda rare around me, so I usually ended up buying the big one. Admittedly, on more than one occasion I dumped the entire big bottle between the two tanks, mainly because I'm not a fan of having half-full bottles of fluids running around the cab of my truck. WAY overkill, so it's really not fair to compare any results to the PS Diesel Kleen.

Based on some popular reviews on here, the next additive I plan to run is the Stanadyne Performance Formula. Just ordered a case of the 16oz bottles off Amazon last week. Supposed to be good stuff, and comes in smaller bottle that I can consume entirely at each fill-up.

Now, overall, have I noticed a difference running additives? Well, tough to say since I've been running something in the tank every fill-up since I bought it almost 2 years ago. But, my whole goal is to postpone things like IPs and injectors for as long as I can, and based on how strong the truck runs right now (@ 80K miles), I'd say I'm doing OK. And since I only fill the truck up MAYBE once a month (more if I have a trackday to tow the bikes to that month), a couple extra bucks every fill-up is no big deal.

Mike

bookite03

Nice Crummy
Reaction score
I started with the PS Diesel Kleen, started using Stanadyne for the last couple tanks. Didn't notice much from the Diesel Kleen at all but the Stanadyne product definitely smoothed out my engine, fuel knock and reduced my haze/smoke. Just my $0.02. Read some of the reviews posted in the link above.

idiabuse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I add gas to my fuel 87 octane or lower I really like stale boat gas the best! in reply to the OP question.

Wellused

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got a bottle of the Stanadyne under the seat of a 6.2 truck I bought a while back.I was pretty impressed with it.Smoothed the old girl out and was quieter for sure.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I run 4 to 6 ozs of stanadyne performance formula in every tank. I have read that I can do this to every other tank of diesel but I don't. I like protection of my Moose pump...

jonathan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've noticed that when I use PS my truck fires up faster less smoke and less exhaust fumes

jas88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't have mine on the road yet but I plan to put a gallon of filtered WMO in there with 31 gallons of diesel.

HammerDown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I started with the PS Diesel Kleen, started using Stanadyne for the last couple tanks. Didn't notice much from the Diesel Kleen at all but the Stanadyne product definitely smoothed out my engine, fuel knock and reduced my haze/smoke. Just my $0.02. Read some of the reviews posted in the link above.
What's fuel knock?

ksingltn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've run ATF and 2 stroke, no real difference. If I'm filling all the way up, I'll split a qt of ATF between tanks. I just buy the cheapest stuff available at the gas station.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
placidoert

Members online