What do you add to your diesel when filling up?

Revelstoke

Reaction score
I would also like to know if the Dept of Revenue has the right to stop me? I might need to be somewhere. Do they stop gas vehicles to determine where they got their fuel? Is it out of state fuel in that gas car? Granted, off- road -diesel is available and can be used in diesels, gas cars can also run on alternative fuels (it's rare I know, yet possible). Does that give them carte blanche to shake every diesel rig down? Wonder if there are any legal types out there. If they have that right, then by all means, I'll stop.

Thanks

plywood

Recovered N/A
Reaction score
"non-NMMA type lubricant". I haven't got the foggiest what that means?

National Marine Manufacturing Association.;Sweet

I picked up some Mercury Marine 2-stroke oil really really cheap and have been adding that.
Sometimes just a little old 2-stroke mixed gas that's old.
Sometimes a little motor oil from a partial bottle.
Sometimes real live treatment, can' stand the smell of it though coming through the heater vents if I have even the slightest leak.:puke:

plywood

Recovered N/A
Reaction score
Oh, yeah and I meant to say the guy who rebuilt my IP said that when the detergents in ATF burn they pit the cylinder walls.:dunno

Then again, he wanted to sell my Stanadyne fuel treatment.:backoff

Popeye2347

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Look at this article, by DieselPlace.com

http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/showthread.php?t=177728

Seems to be a lot of different ideas. I run in a cold climate, so lubricity & cetane boost are what I'm looking for. I have switched to Opti-Lube. I cannot find much empirical evidence other than that test they mentioned. I would like to see such a test. I did find one: http://www.dieselpowermag.com/tech/ford/0911dp_fuel_additive_test/index.html. Take a look. If anyone has any more to say, I'd like to hear it. This test is not definitive, but I'm really looking for the best, cost effective additive. I am considering running a small amount of straight vegetable oil each tank, but I'm concerned about gelling in the lines.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online

No members online now.