what do yall think i should do

69oiler

I don't feel tardy
Reaction score
time to thin the fleet.

i got a new work truck, a '99 PSD. (flame suit on) :draw

here's the fleet.

'99 F250

'77 F250 4x4 351M (paid for and pretty clean but needs restoring)

'04 Ford Escape (want to eliminate payments on this vehicle)

'94 GMC Sonoma 4x4 (paid for and kinda reliable with only 80K miles on it)

and of course my trusty '86 F250 6.9 with all sorts of newer and upgraded parts. (needs some nickel and dime type attention)

my first thoughts are to sell the Escape and the IDI. my main reasons are they will get me the most money, while still retaining an auto tranny car (Sonoma) for wifey to drive.

choosing between selling the '86 and the '77, i like the '77 body better. but both trucks are good restoration projects, while the '86 has been a kick-ass work truck for 6 1/2 years and with some tlc would still last a few more years.

i know some will say "sell the PSD" but that aint gonna happen :Sly with my career heading the way it is i need to upgrade wheels. nuff said.

so.

who wants a fairly clean IDI?

or

what about a very restorable '77 F250?

cash flow is the main driving factor here but i figured i'd see what yall had to say.

flame armor engaged. :draw

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I guess, coming from a certified diesel nut, this won't be much of a surprise...but I would keep the IDI and lose the '77. What sort of fuel mileage are you seeing out of the two trucks? How many miles are on them? What overall shape are both of them in? While both would make good restoration projects, which one is better-suited for daily driving RIGHT NOW? And, lastly, which one have you put the most money into over the years? Since you won't get that money back, IMHO you're best off holding on to the one that you've got the most into already...and, since you've had the IDI far longer thant he '77, I would guess you have more in the IDI. And, with 3.54's and a 4 speed, I'll bet the IDI does better on fuel than the '77 (and probably close to the Sonoma).

Just my thoughts on the matter...and, while I have to give you the obligatory *SWONK*, I also have to congratulate you on the new purchase, and hope it didn't break the bank.

Good luck either way!

69oiler

I don't feel tardy
Reaction score
thanks Warden. 13,800 with 125k miles btw.

i see your point and understand your reasoning. but the truck i keep will not be a daily driver. it will serve as backup only. the reasons you suggest for keeping the IDI are the same reasons i have for selling it. it's worth more than the '77, is better on fuel, and will get me more money.

but in the condition they are both currently in the gap isn't that big. by the time i fix either of them i may have about the same amount of dough in each.

i guess i have some thinking to do. i should mention the wife wants me to keep the '77 for the same reasons i like it (cool body and unique truck around these parts)

decisions decisions.

Russ

Idont do injectors
Reaction score
Cut them both up for scrap then put the money towards mods on the PSD :rotflmao JK.

I like the 77 body style too. IF you could afford it I'd like to see you do an IDieselmans type truck, put the 6.9 in the 77. But if you're looking cash and can't make up your mind, why not put them both up for sale and see which one goes first. Then restore the other one. Let fate decide for you. Just a thought BTW Welcome to the DARKSIDE
You must be registered for see images

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 77 is probably the one to keep, its more original with teh gas burner in it, but it would be way cooler if restored and had a '94-97 PSD, 6.9 turbo IDI or 12V Cummins in it, or if youw ant to get really crazy, a CAT 3208.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Obviously you have fallen under the evil spell of Lord Pruitt, and his southwest PA minions! LOL

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
720Diesel

Members online