What Differential I have

idiambulance

Reaction score
Im trying to figure out what differential I have. What can I look at to determine which one I have? Im trying to change the differential fluid but im not sure which one I have.

idiambulance

Reaction score
Check out the tag in the driver's door.. bottom row of letters
This is teh only sticker I have left on the drivers door. If it says it here I dont know where.

Attachments

• IMG_3769.jpg
    IMG_3769.jpg
    146.1 KB · Views: 12

Fredrickson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Under AXLE is says 69 So you it appears you have
A Ford 10.25 rear end, rated for 8250 lbs with 3.25 gearing

idiambulance

Reaction score
Under AXLE is says 69 So you it appears you have
A Ford 10.25 rear end, rated for 8250 lbs with 3.25 gearing
Sorry Im learning here. Im trying to figure out how much fluid and what type I need to change my differential fluid. What use would those two numbers give me in the future?

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
All you need to know from those numbers for your current question is it's a Ford (sterling) 10.25 rear axle.

You must be registered for see images attach

Buy a gallon and after you've drained it fill it until it starts coming out of the fill plug. Looks like no limited slip so no need for an additive.

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can you imagine how gutless an N/A Ambulance would be with 3.25 gears?! Ha! I moved to 3.55 from 4.10 and even with a good turbo setup the switch still gets me in an empty pickup. Good on the freeway and that's it.

idiambulance

Reaction score
Im curious what you mean. Im not super fast but I have decent pickup and can get to speed. I do go up steep hills pretty slow but I figured that was just par for the course. What exactly are the pros and cons of a N/A engine with a 3.25 gears set.

Big Bart

Tow&Slow
Reaction score
Pro’s for 4.10 is better torque and pulling power. If towing this is the set up. Top end speed is limited but towing big loads at 70-80 is generally dangerous and in some states illegal.

Pro’s for 3.xx faster at mph more like 16-18mpg (vs 11-14) and higher cruising speeds. More like 75mph at 2,800rpm than my 65mph with a c6 and 4.10. Good for daily driver that only moves loads/tows occasionally.

My 2 cents.

Last edited:

Fredrickson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To oversimplify, it is how many times the driveshaft needs to turn to rotate the rear wheels once.

The more turns it takes per rotation.. (say 4.10 turns to rotate the wheels once), generally means the more torque, (pulling power) you will have at lower speeds, but it also means the more engine rpms it takes to move down the road at a given speed.
So at highway speeds, your engine is spinning slower to maintain say.. 65mph, than someone with 4.10 gears. where the engine spins faster by comparison to maintain the same speed.

Once your C6 hits 3rd gear, your engine is spinning 79% as much as someone with 4:10 gears.. so better fuel economy, better top speed for you.. but it's an effort to get the truck's engine rpms into the sweet spot where it makes the most power.
After you build out the box, with the added weight, (particularly if you plan on having a water tank) you may find your speed gradually slowing down, or requiring you to put your foot into it, as you go up a loooong hill.. ever see a truck lane on the interstate?

Hope that helps..

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7