what can my truck handle

FORDMAN41291

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hey yall, hey was wondering how much my truck would pull? ive hauled a dual axel horse trailer once with my 94 150 4.9 I6 but it only had one horse in it, the engine didnt like 89 octane with a load so i filled it up with 93 than it hauled like no tomorrow how much can my I6 300 pull?

spg

Big Red
Reaction score
Depends on the GVW and GCWR of your truck and what you use for a hitch. Don't use more than your hitch rating for tounge weight and gross weight. Don't carry more weight on the truck than the gross vehicle rating and don't have more that the gross combined rating for both tow and towed vehicle. Your owners manual and/or door tag should list GVW and GCWR. A weight distributing hitch with dual cam sway control would be recommended for any heavy loads or enclosed trailers. Also pay attention to tounge weight.

itsacrazyasian

residentcrazyasian
Reaction score
Its not a matter of what that 300 I6 will tow, its what YOUR truck can stop. I had a 300 I6 in a crew cab dually F350!!!!

please don't exceed your truck's weight capacity.

DaveBen

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Look at the decal on the driver's door post. This decal will give you the weights for this information.

Dave

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
so like.... what can my Frame Handle safely?
I would be more worried about the brakes than the frame. As to what your brakes can handle, reference DaveBen's post and, for the sake of everyone who has to share the road with you, please don't go over the max weight listed on the sticker.

Steve83

Bronco Guru
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

Your owner's manual explains in detail how to calculate the truck's max SAFE trailer weight, considering optional equipment, cargo, passengers, & other factors. If you don't have one, get the closest year here:
https://www.fleet.ford.com/maintenance/owners_manuals/default.asp

But the short answer is: NOT MUCH. Without a load of cargo in the back to hold those tires on the ground, the truck isn't heavy enough to tow its own weight safely on the highway. And with a load in the back, the leaf springs are so close to capacity that you can't put enough tongue weight on it to balance a substantial trailer. I've towed some big stuff with my Bronco, but it has much better weight distribution than a pickup, and I had it set up for hauling. Even so, I rolled it by hooking up to a trailer that wasn't loaded correctly, despite it being MUCH lighter than some I had towed with no problems.

So there are MANY factors involved in safe towing, and YOU are the biggest one. If you haven't towed much before, don't learn close to (or OVER) the truck's max. Tire construction & pressure are more important than engine size.