what a crappy day the the 88 dually blew up

bbf604

Reaction score
my 88 idi dually blew up today where is the cheapest place to get a rebuild kit? just wanted to get a few leads i'm going to tare into the motor after the holidays...thanks in advance eric

bbf604

Reaction score
not sure what happened yeaht i think it droped a valve but i won't know till i tare it apart. i was driving it and it started loosing power then made all the bad noises they make like parts are about to fly out but one good thing is their isn't no holes in the block...lol...eric

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That may or may not be true. It depends on how long you want to keep the truck and how good you are at finding good used engines. The big expense is involved with rebuilding a 7.3 "right" which means dry sleeves which means a good machinist= BIG $$. It also depends on if you know somebody to do that work cheap for you and what if anything can be salvaged out of the old engine. Sleeves are usually around $100 and up per cylinder. You can bore a 7.3 but you may be on cavitation's doorstep...maybe not either if you know the history of the engine and know it hasn't failed from this before and has had the SCAs maintained all of its life. Rebuild kits exist but they aren't very cheap. I think Northern Autoparts ? has them for around 500-1000 bucks rings, pistons, and gaskets, maybe bearings too. Anything else would be more $$. A drop in reman engine or a custom build up would be best but most money a used running engine might be cheapest but most risky. A used 6.9 is probably OK if you change the headgaskets and it starts easy with not too much blowby. A used 7.3 may be on cavitation's doorstep or have a bad valve like you think this engine did and have little to no obvious symptoms. Oil cooler and head gaskets are too easy not to do when the engine is out of the truck.

gonecrazyi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When my engine gave up last summer I bought another truck with with a 6.9 for 600. I sold a buch of parts off of it and then scraped what was left for 250. I think in the end it cost 200 bucks to swap the motor over.

If I would have waited I could have gotten a better deal on a truck with more parts, but I needed my hauler back.

DragRag

Reaction score
When my engine gave up last summer I bought another truck with with a 6.9 for 600. I sold a buch of parts off of it and then scraped what was left for 250. I think in the end it cost 200 bucks to swap the motor over.

If I would have waited I could have gotten a better deal on a truck with more parts, but I needed my hauler back.

That's what I'm talking about. The only way to go.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Don't buy a rebuild kit before you know what happened to your motor. Find the cylinder thats the problem. It may turn out to just be a rocker arm or lifter or pushrod tube... Maybe even an injector is stuck open. When an injector stays open it makes a terrible noise... Sounds like nuts and bolts are in the cylinder because its letting fuel flow into the cylinder causing a fuel knock...Some sound like a really bad rod knock... Ebay has several sellers offering quality rebuild kits for on the cheap... Check them out but know whats wrong with your motor first...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online