What’s in my fuel filter?

Austin86250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just was doing my usually quick inspection and I noticed this…
What do y’all think this metal/ debris is

I only use the facet as a primer pump so I can only imagine what’s in the factory filter as I use the mech alone 90% of the time

Attachments

• IMG_7529.jpeg
    IMG_7529.jpeg
    371 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_7528.jpeg
    IMG_7528.jpeg
    299.9 KB · Views: 35

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
You may need to take a better picture, I don't see what you're referring to.

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
That's not part of the filter? Is that a big piece of metal? There's no way that came through the fuel lines....

Rdnck84_03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hard to tell from that picture but it almost looks like solder. Definitely agree with @Nero though whatever it is had to be in there when it was installed.

James

Austin86250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea y’all are right, looks like solder. Wasn’t there last time I popped the hood it was clear as a whistle

Austin86250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Really bad pic but it shows it was not there recently
Only thing I’ve ever soldered on this truck was the alternator charge wire, is it possible someone soldered the pickup tube? But the fsv is only 1/4” isn’t it?

Attachments

• IMG_4138.jpeg
    IMG_4138.jpeg
    421.8 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you were really bold and felt like you could afford to waste that much diesel fuel, you could unscrew the filter housing and look at it really close. But with the cost of diesel it might be best to leave it in there and speculate. It could make a fun thread, especially if I start cooking up weird ideas about what it might be. It could be what 5G is doing to diesel fuel. Maybe ask the chatbot thing?

Rdnck84_03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Seeing that filter in perspective definitely helps with judging the size of the mystery piece.

In your first pictures I was thinking that was about a 1 quart filter and was wondering how big of fuel lines you had to think that giant piece made it all the way from the pickup tube.

Even in perspective I still really doubt it made all the way from the tank without getting stuck somewhere. I would guess it has probably been inside the pump/filter since new.

James

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Even in perspective I still really doubt it made all the way from the tank without getting stuck somewhere. I would guess it has probably been inside the pump/filter since new.

James
It being in the pump from the factory is my speculation too. For that simple purpose I had decided to keep this thread secret from @Clb , because if he gets wind of this it will be fuel in his "anti-duralast" or "facet" fuel pump fire. So, let's make a point not to draw any attention to this thread. Because if @Clb catches wind of this we'll get a picture of a horse being beaten to death.

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
thee best thing about the faucett is that filter bowl:flipa
Mine still transfers fuel from a 5er to the 1200 ferd loader on occasion:joker: