Whad I do wrong? (tank vent)

Cowboy_Customs

Rhinestone Cowboy
Reaction score
OK, So I got my Bronco tank in a few months ago, and I have some bugs to work out. My biggest being the vent. Its no better then it was before!

What I did:
top of tank rollover valve removed, 1" brass pipe thread to 3/4 nipple installed, 3/4" clear tube hose to 3/4" elbow above bend in filler neck.
I THINK, I know what I should have done and didnt, but just to make for 100% sure, on the filler neck, do you need to drill/cut all the way into the neck?
I removed the outer neck to weld in the elbow, but not the inner neck. I did remove the plastic liner too.

Like I said I have some bugs to work out, like the fuel pickup hoses being toooooo short (dont ask, i dunno how that happened) AND godforbid the fuel sloshes to the rear of the tank (I know how that happened) And getting the fuel level float adjusted to read correctly all the time.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You should have a short 7/16 ID vent-hose stuck into a rubber grommet in the top of the tank.

In the end of this hose should be a plastic "rollover valve".

If you want the tank to vent and be able to use the quick-fill nozzle at the fuel pumps, do like I did.

That vent line that is on the filler-neck, cut it off up close and plug it, it will serve no purpose but to slosh fuel out as you try to fill.

Lubricate and pull the rollover-valve equipped hose out of the rubber grommet; mark it at the grommet, first.

You are not going to use the valve on the new vent, as it is why no one can put fuel in these trucks.

Take a long length of 1/2" ID fuel-hose, mark it at the distance that the discarded hose was at the grommet, slick up the end of it with vaseline, do likewise with the inside of the grommet.

Push this hose into the grommet, stopping at the mark.

The old hose was 7/16, but the 1/2 will slide right in.

Route the hose to somewhere high and dry, the higher the better.

Take a plain pipe ELL and a street ELL and make them into a U shape, add a 1/2" hose-barb and put this in the end of the hose.

Orient this U such that rain can't get in the hose.

Install one of those valve-cover breathers, if you like, to keep critters out.

On my truck, I went a step farther and did this to all THREE tanks, TEEing all three vent hoses into ONE that goes high.

This way, should one tank get over-full, the excess follows the vent-hose to whichever tank has room for it.;Sweet

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That sounds illegal and dangerous, aren't you supposed to put a roll over back in.

I am an illegal and dangerous kind of individual.;Sweet

It is no more dangerous than having fuel pour in your boots, every time you fuel up, what with smokers all around; also, a person could instinctively jump back, out of the path of puking fuel, and get hit by the milk-truck coming into the pumps; either way, he would be just as dead.

Not saying that they don't exist, but I have yet to see a factory-made after-market auxilliary tank with any sort of roll-over-valve.

ttman4

Last Nite's Dream..
Reaction score
Hi in the Cascades, Nearly- Redmond,Oregon
tank vents...lots good threads in search....

did it to both factory tanks....one of which, as some of you may recall, is my New-n-Improved30-32 gal rounded, bloated looking, non leakin yet, rear fuel tank that I puffed up really round, that day I was-a-havin a bad hair day & tizzied fitted!! (me & air hoses & air squirters get carried away)
And I still think I should get royalties on this mishap idea!!!!:rotflmao

Anyway, I pulled my roll-over valves out, slipped a IIRC 1/2" or 3/4" pipe thread 90deg plastic lawn irrigation fitting with hose barb on outlet side. (whatever size fits snuggly into factory tank grommet) IIRC 3/8 hose barb & ran 3/8" or 1/2" braided clear hose up to about 2-3-4 inches below fill cap. DON"T install with sags in hose!
I pulled off fill hose, gutted & threw away the internal plastic vent hose (witch is IIRC about 1"-1-1/8" or so dia....no wonder tanks have to be filled slow)
Then the upper metal section I gutted & hammered & beat & chisseled till I had everything wide open & gutted in that section. I then, about 2-3-4" below fill cap, drilled tightly & screwed in a brass 90deg with pipe threads...this screwed into fill tube just enough to hold in till I brazed it.
Other end of brass 90* is hose barb....I used IIRC about 3/8"ID fitting & the 1/2" clear braded hose slipped onto this.

Watever size of fittings & hose I used all fit together. 3/8" ID vent hose will work.

Only prob to watch for is tank suddenly gets full way quicker...now I don't have time to BS with station attendent.
My set-up works great....no spillage either.....fuel @near $4, that makes a few drop spillage about $1plus:D