Westin brushguard

BrandonMag

Dana 50 rebuilder
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There was a craigslist ad I happened across a couple of weeks ago, the guy had listed he owned three old Ford pickups and said he had a bunch of parts. I need a 16 X 8 wheel for my spare tire (315/75R-16) and gave him a call. He told me he wasn't sure but he had about a dozen old Fords and if I wanted to look around, we could see what he had.

I got directions to his place and showed up a couple of hours later. We poked around his mini-wrecking yard (he had about 12 old Fords and eight old Suburbans), but couldn't find any 16" wheels wider than 7". Oh, well. I was just about ready to leave when he said, "I've got one more truck I just picked up a couple of days ago." It was over in a different area, so we walked over there. No dice on the wheel, but there was a brushguard installed on this F350 that caught my eye. I asked how much he wanted for it and he said $100. I looked at it for a minute and offered him $75.

"Nope, $100." I was about to pass but he said, "It's a real nice brushguard and it'd look good on your truck." Usually, that type of talk doesn't persuade me if I think someone is asking too much for something I want, but this time it did. So about an hour later (I got to remove it myself) I left with this:

You must be registered for see images

That's a picture of it I just took about 30 minutes ago. It's mounted to my truck, but as you can see it's sitting a little low. I installed a 2" body lift on my truck last fall and the front bumper is maxed out on its brackets. That and the bottom of the bumper is butting up against the bottom of the frame horn. Seeing as how it would look a whole lot better sitting at the height it is intended to (about 1 1/2" higher), this weekend will be set aside to do some fabrication work and get it moved up. I'll be cutting the bumper brackets apart and re-welding them and notching out the bottom of the bumper to clear the frame horns. Stay tuned and next week I'll update this thread with some pics.

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
No welding necessary.

Just notch the bottom of the bumper to clear the frame.

Then slide the bumper where you want it and drill new holes either in the frame to use the existing bracket holes or drill the bracket to reuse the frame holes

BrandonMag

Dana 50 rebuilder
Supporting Member
Reaction score
...slide the bumper where you want it and drill new holes either in the frame to use the existing bracket holes or drill the bracket to reuse the frame holes

That sounds easier than my plan. ;Sweet

I would think that re-drilling the frame may be somewhat stronger structurally speaking since there's not a whole lot of extra metal in the brackets (IIRC).

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
I would think that re-drilling the frame may be somewhat stronger structurally speaking since there's not a whole lot of extra metal in the brackets (IIRC).

Thats what i was thinking too, but i know how some people are about drilling into their frame.

Off topic............. What do you do for the IBEW, brother?

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Got one of those brush guards just like that on my 92. Too late tonight for pics. Fact is I just sprayed it with bed liner today since it was kind of warm and not windy. ;Sweet :D

BrandonMag

Dana 50 rebuilder
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Got one of those brush guards just like that on my 92.

;Sweet I think it's a perfect addition to the front of my truck. Looks good and if a deer decides to commit suicide by running in front of me I don't think it will do much other than spray some blood on the grill.

Too late tonight for pics. Fact is I just sprayed it with bed liner today since it was kind of warm and not windy. ;Sweet :D

Post it up when you get a chance. I was thinking about getting it powdercoated satin black... may still happen sometime in the future.

biggin92

Yeeeee Haaawwww
Reaction score
flareside_thunder has one on his 89 it is identical to that one but it does not look near as good as yours and i think he paid $20 for it,anyways it look very good on your truck!!

BrandonMag

Dana 50 rebuilder
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It took me a couple more days to complete this project than I thought. Once I actually started turning wrenches, it was only about two hours of work to get it done.

I started by removing the brushguard and notching out the passenger side of the bumper with a 4 1/2" grinder:

After I notched out both the passenger and driver's side of the bumper, I removed the bumper and drilled the frame:

I drilled out driver's side as well; it's a good thing I've got a lot of drill bits, the steel the frame is made out of is pretty hard stuff. After I got both framehorns drilled out, this is what the bolts looked like from the passenger side:

And here's what the passenger side of the brushguard looks like up close:

The finished product:

In the third to the last pic, you can see I had to cut some material off the brushguard itself. It's a hard to tell, but I removed a couple of inches of steel to gain access to the bolt used to tighten the bracket to the brushguard. Because of the upwards movement of the bumper and brushguard, I had to flip the brackets around. I used what was the driver's side bracket on the passenger side and vice versa. Because of this, I needed some additional space to tighten the bolts that wasn't necessary for the brushguard as it came. It's not really noticeable if you're standing 10 feet away, but I thought it was worth mentioning.

As you can see, the leaf springs are now visible from the front. I think the fact that the brushguard sits slightly above the headlights now more than makes up for this. Also, my front tires would occasionally rub against the bumper if I made a hard turn and hit a bump at the same time. With the additional space I gained from moving the bumper up I don't think this will be an issue any longer.

Last edited: