Well that just makes my day.

purg113

new to me f350
Reaction score
I was putting my 7.3 in the truck to day and had my buddy raising and lowering the cherry picker.
told him to let it down easy so I could get it to clear the firewall and he lets it down too fast and ramed the oil pan into the crossmember that a stupid socket was sitting on now I have a oil pan with a good sized dent in it right at the drain plug. So I am thinking it is time for a new oil pan and pickup tube befor I can go any farther on this swap.
Life is just lovely with this truck 3 steps forward and 4 steps back seems to be the way it is going so far.

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
that's just all part of it.just the way the cookie crumbles sometimes.all ya can do is learn from the experience and move onward.you'll get 'er.keep pressing on.;Sweet

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
That might be a dent that can be pounded out. If there is not a leak you can at least try to pound it out. Might try a 2x4 piece of wood first. Without pics its tuff saying what to do. but for sure don't use a oil pan gasket when you remove the pan. Just a good quality RTV is all the factory used and that works great today too.

HammerDown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't think twice about trying to removing the dent, just make sure the oil pick-up wasn't hurt too.
I would use Ultra Grey to reseal the pan...it's a great product.

Last edited:

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score

asmith

Full Access Member
Reaction score
that's just all part of it.just the way the cookie crumbles sometimes.all ya can do is learn from the experience and move onward.you'll get 'er.keep pressing on.;Sweet

yeah listen to this guy. i believe he is on his 24th transmission removal in a couple weeks:rotflmao least it seems like it if you read his log truck thread. he has more patience than anyone i know.

ryanecvbrown

Credo Quia Absurdum
Reaction score
Gary,
although the factory didn't use one,some people like to add them to rear sterling 10.25 diff's too (i don't)
can you use a gasket on the oil pan if you wanted?

HammerDown,
why do you suggest ultra grey vs ultra black?

http://www.permatex.com/products-2/...torque-rtv-silicone-gasket-maker-82194-detail

http://www.permatex.com/products-2/...l-resistance-rtv-silicone-gasket-maker-detail

I dunno about Hammerdown, but I love the grey silicone that Intl sells when I can get ahold I it. We use it at work to seal our 3rd member flanges on Eaton and Meritor axles without a single leak, including the time a driver let his forward drive axle get up to 462 degrees when the carrier bearings locked up. I've used it on every sealing surface that holds oil and have yet to have it fail and leak. A word of caution however, the Intl grey sets up FAST so have everything in place and ready to rip when you apply it. We have about 20 mins from application time to setup on the 3rd member flanges before we have to strip it off and start over. Also, the fumes it puts off when it's curing are enough to burn your nose hairs so don't go giving it a good sniff when you're working.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
A person can choose to use a gasket on the oil pan but.. Those that have tried this usually regret doing it because they end up with oil leaks. A gasket maker includes these in some gasket sets. But they also include other gaskets too that we can't use in our truck equipped engines. In particular the van application oil cooler gaskets. We need the truck application oil cooler gaskets. But why have 2 different gaskets sets on the shelf when for a few cents you can include other gaskets for other idi applications. I personally will never use a rubber or cork oil pan gasket. So far I have not had any leaks. I have been using permatex ultra copper plus for many years on all kinds of diesel and gas engines. Never a leak.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Apples to oranges.
But morosso now makes a oil pan gasket for the 7.3 powerstrokes. Apparently they're holding up great, but it's also not your run of the mill cork or rubber gasket.
It also allows you to just drop the pan enough to get it in vs pulling the engine.
I mean I understand how easy it would be to rtv with the engine out, but some may not have that option.
Maybe someone could talk with morosso about one for the idi.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

purg113

new to me f350
Reaction score
okay I will pull the enging and drop the pan to see if the pickup was hurt but i will try to straten the pan.
where can I get a pickup tube at my parts store don't seem to carry them??

purg113

new to me f350
Reaction score
oil pan pics

they are not the best but all I had with me was my phone
You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

So do I need to pull it off and fix it or might I get lucky and it be okay?
I think the pickup is right above the drain plug but I don't know how close it is to the pan.

whitehorse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From what I see that don't look bad...I'm pulling a 7.3 with blowed head gaskets in favor of a 6.9 so I feel your pain....

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Thats an easy repair. Just pull the engine and use a 2x2 or a 2x4 wood block to hammer it out. A 4 lb hammer on the block will do fine. The oil pump suction head is just above the drain hole. Remove the drain plug and look in or stick a screwdriver up in there to feel it. If the suction line is bent just straighten it. Look at the dip stick in the pan. See how high the oil level must be to register on the stick. These engines require 10+ quarts of oil to be at specs so your not going to be sucking air if the pump suction is bent up a bit.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance