Weird Starting Issues

bigdraft

Strokin..Not ******
Reaction score
Hey guys. Got a weird problem. I filled both tanks without adding any additive last week. Been cold as usual here.......below 10 at night and such. I know winter fuel sucks.......a couple times over the last week the truck dont want to start at all. Plug it in at night, starts good in the morning and all. Earlier today, the wife and I went shopping, shut truck off, went into store, less than an hour later, truck just rolled over and over, no fire. Try it a few times, wait a minute, then with a little pedal she will fire right up and run fine. Could this be the winter fuel with no additive??????? Has never done it before, and I ALWAYS put additive in, except this time....... :confused:

Ford_Forgotton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
while you are cranking, are you getting a bunch of white smoke out the exhaust pipe? If so, you have a glowplug problem.

Item 1: The Glowplug Relay. Usually the most common glowplug circuit failure. High amperage draw of your glowplugs kills them over time.

Item 2: Weak or bad battery. While the "battery indicator Eye" may be green, it only monitors ONE CELL, not the whole battery. Batteries over 5 years old should be replaced as a maint Item.

Item 3: Actual bad glowplugs. Not as common as the Items 1 and 2, but potentially a problem none the less. Glowplugs should between 0.1 and 0.6 ohms COLD. Do not check glowplugs after the engine has been run. The hotter they are, the higher the OHM reading.

bigdraft

Strokin..Not ******
Reaction score
Glow plug relay is 2 months old, glow plugs were checked at that time and were reading perfect. Twin 1000 cold cranking amp batteries are like a year and a half old....still turns over truck extremely fast!!!!! Still wondering if I got a crappy winter batch of fuel.....and like I said, I didnt add anything to it this time, for some dumb reason.........

Ford_Forgotton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
bigdraft said:
Glow plug relay is 2 months old, glow plugs were checked at that time and were reading perfect. Twin 1000 cold cranking amp batteries are like a year and a half old....still turns over truck extremely fast!!!!! Still wondering if I got a crappy winter batch of fuel.....and like I said, I didnt add anything to it this time, for some dumb reason.........

Are you getting smoke out the tailpipe tho. A little? a lot? Ozone depleting clouds?

If no smoke, then either low fuel pressure, on the injectors arent firing or something bigger.

bigdraft

Strokin..Not ******
Reaction score
Read a post on the other site about the same thing. Could it be my IPR o-ring? Starts hard like that when warm, gonna try it cold tomorrow morning and see what happens.........if it is my IPR o-ring, how much are these?????

Kevin