waterpump loose, oil leak? '86 6.9

lucky

lucky
Reaction score
Stop the world I want off! Well, not really. I've been chasing an oil leak near the front of the engine for a while now. Thinking, headgasket, oil cooler etc. Have used brake cleaner to clean up front of engine and drove it a bit, oil leak still persists and I do have oil in the anifreeze.
I was thinking oil cooler as the culprit but today I got a surprise. I had done the waterpump this past summer and put on oh, maybe 500miles on the truck since. No coolant leaks, holds pressure etc but today I was lookin around and just put a 1/2 wrench on the waterpump bolts. Yikes! I got 1/2 to 3/4 turn on them all! I used sealant on the bolts needed and it was tight when it went on this summer. My questions are: if loose, will the waterpump allow oil into the coolant and an oil leak down the drivers side of the engine going onto the oil cooler then blowing back and down the face of the oil filter? Not talking a lot of oil, drops that just start to run after

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
Yep the top two bolts on the waterpump lead to the timing/injection pump gear housing area - so it looks like you found your problem.

You might have to yank it back off and reseal things but I would leave it alone for right now and see if it continues.

lucky

lucky
Reaction score
Travis:
Thanks for the opinion. I crawled under this morning and it is clean as can be. That was after 40miles yesterday. Friday I'll give it a 3 hr run on the highway and will know for sure. Sure hope so.