Water separator?

Ghuds

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I have a question, I recently picked up an 83 F250 6.9 and someone bypassed the water separator. I assume it was leaking at some point. I was wondering if this was a common problem, and where would be a good place to get replacement parts, or a whole new unit. Or, if there is a decent aftermarket replacement available.
Thanks!

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
Yup, common problem. Sometimes you have to get creative when mounting a new/modern unit, but that's what needs to get done. You don't want to run without one for any length of time. Your factory fuel filter will hold some water but don't rely on it to do that job for you.
Racor is probably the most readily available aftermarket filter/water separator brand out there. And running a second/primary filter that is integral with the separator, isn't a bad idea either

dgr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They suck air through the drain hose. There is more than one idi running around with a bolt shoved in the drain line.

I'm curious on sizing the racor unit. There's no issue with the 1/4 npt ports on there?

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
They suck air through the drain hose. There is more than one idi running around with a bolt shoved in the drain line.

I'm curious on sizing the racor unit. There's no issue with the 1/4 npt ports on there?

I got a Racor off a junk yard IDI a couple years ago where it was in place of the factory W/S. Presumably it worked fine. It was a turbo IDI too, as I recall. It had already been stripped of the turbo but I could still tell.

I really need to install it on the RV, it doesn't have one because someone removed it. I need to replace the hoses at the tank selector valve soon (clamp tightening stopped the leak for now), so I will do the Racor install at the same time.

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score

Not that I have run into.

Remember that 1/4" NPT is based on threads cut directly into 1/4" rigid pipe. (~1/2" OD) There's all kinds of fittings to let you connect to 5/16" and 3/8" hose or thinwall tubing.

Last edited:

dgr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not that I have run into.

Remember that 1/4" NPT is based on threads cut directly into 1/4" rigid pipe. There's all kinds of fittings to let you connect to 5/16" and 3/8" hose or thinwall tubing.
The reason I ask is Wes has said that 35 gph isn't enough for a mildly modified idi. Looks like the racor is rated at 30gph.

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
The reason I ask is Wes has said that 35 gph isn't enough for a mildly modified idi. Looks like the racor is rated at 30gph.

Then I guess the 445/460 Racor is more appropriate. (45 and 60gph respectively)

I was thinking from the standpoint that its not a PSD or common-rail that runs a high volume fuel loop.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
Then I guess the 445/460 Racor is more appropriate. (45 and 60gph respectively)

I was thinking from the standpoint that its not a PSD or common-rail that runs a high volume fuel loop.

The R26S filter is what I pulled from the junk yard IDI with the head and bowl.

You must be registered for see images attach

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score

That is exactly the one on my W250 right now. Cross the filters to Wix, Fleetguard, etc... saves a few bucks.

Booyah45828

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Was that the only filter on it? Just curious because the brown lettering shows that it is a 2 micron filter, which is small for a primary filter on a 2 filter setup.

onetonjohn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can get the Racor filters different micron filtration. I'd have to check to be sure but I think I got 10 micron on mine, because it didn't make sense to me to have smaller filter before my normal fuel filter - I could just delete the normal fuel filter.

What I don't know if the smaller filtration helps with the water separation. If so, I should probably go back to the 2 micron.