Water pump woes

Brianedwardss

Reaction score
Well, I've got 18K/2 years on an Autozone waterpump. It was the most expensive of the new units they offer, not a reman. Worked so far. Had a locked-up fan for its entire life too. Now if it goes out soon, I'll join the club on this thread. I sound like a broken record, but if I did anything but commute in Oregon's mild climate, I'd buy more respectable items.

Last edited:

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
About 7 years ago I bought a new water pump from International and it was cheaper than a rebuilt from Nappa.... :eek: I paid $60.00 for it....:angel:

Diesel Max

93 F-250 4X4 - 7.3
Reaction score
I just replaced my waterpump last week with a motocraft WP from the stealership. Paid $86.00 my cost, but I get a discount and I believe the normal price was $126 or $128 without the discount. WP came with the 2 bolts, gasket and instructions......... Instructions mainly showing you where the bolts go so that you don't put the longer one's in the wrong place and screw up your IP.................

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I feel like I got blasted on this water pump issue.
I have no interest or stock in AutoZone. Just suggested where he could get one and the price.
To my knowledge, the OEM has to supply vehicle parts for 10 years labled as such. If anyone thinks that the OEM is going to keep the machinery to build parts after any part is obsolete to the engine that is currently in production has got another guess coming. That machinery to manufacture any given part is either scrapped out, rebuilt for the newly designed part or sold to an aftermarket parts manufacturer. That parts manufacturer can build, lets say a water pump, for any number of different third party entities. If it's a marked Brand, then it is licensed by that particular OEM.
If it's made in a different country, then the packaging has to be marked as such, not neccesarily on the part.
Just like I got a rebuild kit for my turbo. Garrett Engine Boosting Sytems. ASSEMBLED IN MEXICO FROM FOREIGN COMPONENTS. No tag or lable on any of the 12 parts, only on the box they came in.

If I offended you, I'm very sorry. That was never my intent. I do have very strong feelings about my dissappointment with my AZ water pump. Yes, I was angry about it. That anger may have inadvertantly transfered to you during my response. I just didn't want anyone else to feel as frustrated as I felt dealing with a water pump failure at such a short service interval.

Again, my appologies.

Heath

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I feel like I got blasted on this water pump issue.
I have no interest or stock in AutoZone. Just suggested where he could get one and the price.
To my knowledge, the OEM has to supply vehicle parts for 10 years labled as such. If anyone thinks that the OEM is going to keep the machinery to build parts after any part is obsolete to the engine that is currently in production has got another guess coming. That machinery to manufacture any given part is either scrapped out, rebuilt for the newly designed part or sold to an aftermarket parts manufacturer. That parts manufacturer can build, lets say a water pump, for any number of different third party entities. If it's a marked Brand, then it is licensed by that particular OEM.
If it's made in a different country, then the packaging has to be marked as such, not neccesarily on the part.
Just like I got a rebuild kit for my turbo. Garrett Engine Boosting Sytems. ASSEMBLED IN MEXICO FROM FOREIGN COMPONENTS. No tag or lable on any of the 12 parts, only on the box they came in.

This is true, however in my experience Ford will not stock a part if it can no longer meet the original factory spec. Regardless of who builds it, if it carries the Motorcraft name, there IS a difference. You can take a Motorcraft pump and an AZ or NAPA Gold pump and set them side by side, and SEE quality differerences. There is most likely materials differences also. Why do you think Ford only sold Beru plugs? It would have only made sense that they buy and supply Autolight plugs, since naturally this would have really jacked up their profit margins on parts sales. However, I think a company that has choosen to align itself with the moniker "Quality is job 1" as it was, back in the day these trucks were sold, and maybe even more so today, still has a moral and fiscal responsibility to it's customers to supply value. Dealers certainly don't want a customer in their face every 20K miles for a water pump. That's a quick way to make sure nobody ever buys another Ford. Nobody was trying to blast you, and certainly there are people here who, while they recognize the value in spending the money for the Motorcraft pump, just can't afford it, and need to get their truck back on the road. At least they know they are only getting out of the woods for now, and are greatfull to you for pointing them in a direction they can afford. But it is the tradition of this board to always point out the BEST solution, as well as the available solution.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online