water pump replacement

gandalf

Reaction score
Nice set....and that # is clear and easy to see...can you explain the two parts for everyone?

Al

Good thought, Al. It may not be entirely clear, just looking at these wrenches, and they didn't come with directions or documentation. Gary gave enough that people could probably figure it out.

The larger, shorter, wrench fits the four bolts on the pulley, so you can hold it from moving. The smaller, longer, wrench fits on the fan nut, so you can loosen it while holding the pulley and shaft steady with the other. Both wrenches are made for a 1/2 inch breaker bar to fit, for more/better torque. As Gary mentioned, the pulley wrench can be arranged so the breaker bar jams up against something solid and is held there by the force applied, so that all your energies and frustrations can be applied to the fan nut.;Sweet You have to be careful with the pulley nut wrench. If it wiggles it will fall off. It's a tight fit.

Since you had to ask this question, I had to get up off my butt and go outside for pictures. I'll put one in here so you can see how they fit. The shorter wrench is a bit harder to see, but it's there by the pulley. I did not put breaker bars on either wrench for the pictures. Gary, sorry about the picture focus, but you can get the idea.

You must be registered for see images attach

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Ken.. That focus isn't bad.. Whats bad is the oily grime I see on the water pump...:eek::rotflmao Actually thats a great pic showing how the two differant wrenches fit. Twice now after useing the nut wrench to crank over the engine to line up the fuel screw I have forgot to remove it. Then cranked the engine to start only then hearing I left the wrench in place. Lucky for me it gets thrown out the bottom when it gets around to that location but I hear it clanging off the fan blades too... I'm a lucky guy sometimes... That wrench can really wind up making a big mess of things easily.. I never leave it on the fan nut any longer Making the same mistake is crazy... Once is enough but twice... Nope I feel three times and I give up my tools...

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
There actually is a tool made to do this job. I have one, and I've used it once. On top of that, I saw it just the other day at my local parts store, so it's still available.

It did the job for me, but I won't claim anything for the next guy. Notice it is made to have a half inch drive stuck on the end to extend the length.

You must be registered for see images attach

Problem with those type things is *when* ( note I say, when, not if ) they slip, you bust your face and everything else open.
Snap on sells a fan clutch pullet holder for a 7,3, its really for a powerchoke, but it can be made to fit ours by grinding out 2 of the holes a tad , and with that sucker you BOLT the holder to the pulley and rest it against the pass side frame rail while loosening then with a 48mm HEAVY wrench ( also available from snappy as a special tool with a nice whacker end ) you can tap the thing free with one or two whacks with a mallet and zero fan clutch , or bodily damage. just swing the holder to the drivers side frame rail to hold for tightening. Only secure setup Ive found yet that can EASILY be done by one person without tools and pieces ( and humans )flying all over teh place ( yea, maybe some of you young gorillas can dig in there and force the thigns off with cheap garbage, but i've been doing this long enough to where when I approach jobs, I think about .possible emergency room runs if I do something stupid... all the sudden the cost of the right tools starts looking downright cheap )
Make no mistake, those suckers are on tight and one person trying to juggle those loose holder gadgets while applying force can get just plain dangerous. You are applying force in two different directions to items not attached to anything and one is loosely perched on teh edge of a few bolt heads and you are putting ALL of your weight into it, when this lets go, you go, face first, you loose your footing, and it gets bad form there ( first time I tried doing it with those stupid holders , if I hadnt been wearing insulated coveralls. I'd have been gutted like a catfish )
The flimsy versions that they rent at parts stores will generally do nothing more than damage your fan clutch nut unless the thing was on so loose it was about to come off by itself ( thats if you even find one that isnt already splayed out so bad that it will not even go on the nut, most get trashed the first time they get used )

gandalf

Reaction score
Problem with those type things is ...

Your point is well taken, Robert, and quite true. We must always exercise care when working on our trucks.

If I were removing fan clutches on any kind of regular basis, even, say, once per year, I would consider the Snap-on tools. However, I've used this wrench set once in about 15 years. Part of the decision comes down to economics. Snap-on is expensive, and takes a lot of usage to amortize the cost.

Have I had accidents working on vehicles? Of course. I've had my share of stitches. It comes down to a question of, do I spend a lot of money on a good tool I'll use a couple times at most, or do I risk an accident, and having my wife shoot me while she rants and raves on the way to see the doctor?

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Problem with those type things is *when* ( note I say, when, not if ) they slip, you bust your face and everything else open.
Snap on sells a fan clutch pullet holder for a 7,3, its really for a powerchoke, but it can be made to fit ours by grinding out 2 of the holes a tad , and with that sucker you BOLT the holder to the pulley and rest it against the pass side frame rail while loosening then with a 48mm HEAVY wrench ( also available from snappy as a special tool with a nice whacker end ) you can tap the thing free with one or two whacks with a mallet and zero fan clutch , or bodily damage. just swing the holder to the drivers side frame rail to hold for tightening. Only secure setup Ive found yet that can EASILY be done by one person without tools and pieces ( and humans )flying all over teh place ( yea, maybe some of you young gorillas can dig in there and force the thigns off with cheap garbage, but i've been doing this long enough to where when I approach jobs, I think about .possible emergency room runs if I do something stupid... all the sudden the cost of the right tools starts looking downright cheap )
Make no mistake, those suckers are on tight and one person trying to juggle those loose holder gadgets while applying force can get just plain dangerous. You are applying force in two different directions to items not attached to anything and one is loosely perched on teh edge of a few bolt heads and you are putting ALL of your weight into it, when this lets go, you go, face first, you loose your footing, and it gets bad form there ( first time I tried doing it with those stupid holders , if I hadnt been wearing insulated coveralls. I'd have been gutted like a catfish )
The flimsy versions that they rent at parts stores will generally do nothing more than damage your fan clutch nut unless the thing was on so loose it was about to come off by itself ( thats if you even find one that isnt already splayed out so bad that it will not even go on the nut, most get trashed the first time they get used )

THIS POST IS USELESS WITHOUT PICTURES
;Poke

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
For those that dont want to blow a fortune, you can take a good long look at the snap on site picture and then think REAL hard about what a chunk of 2" angle with a couple of holes drilled in it and a small curved relief cut out of it could do ( or you could get fancy and try to duplicate the tool with a chunk of flat stock and a chunk of pipe ) and could most likely be picked up at the scrap yard for a couple bucks at most and you have yourself a safe holder, then shop around for a nice stout wrench, even harbor freight has some decent ones that size that would do better than those flimsy things With a little creativity and prudent shopping you could have quality safe tools at less than the price of just about anything off the shelf