water pump replacement

asmith

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hey guys i have had quite a morning. get to home depot purchase my materials, walking back to the truck and there is a huge puddle underneath to greet me. it is so bad that there was a steady stream coming down off the truck. no drip, steady stream:eek::mad: no warning or anything. fine yesterday then this morning this. anyway baby her home and i am going to change the therostat at the same time, because i dont believe it has been done before. i have several questions. does anyone know the size of the the nut that holds the fan on? i have read through riots write up ;Sweet great job by the way, but i didnt see it in there. does it take a special wrench or will just a big open end wrench work? i did see that it is left hand threads. thanks for the help i am sure i will be back on here durring the day with a couple more questions.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
IIRC 1 7/8" is correct size....

Not 100% sure on that one though..rofl...

I'll have to edit my thread on WP replacement with that info...

I don't usually include a tools needed list on tech articles...kinda go with the idea that if you are doing this you know what you have and what you need, including specialty tools

See if local parts store can rent you the correct size tool...they some times have tool loaner programs...

Thanks for bringing that to my attention

Al

asmith

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IIRC 1 7/8" is correct size....

Not 100% sure on that one though..rofl...

I'll have to edit my thread on WP replacement with that info...

I don't usually include a tools needed list on tech articles...kinda go with the idea that if you are doing this you know what you have and what you need, including specialty tools

See if local parts store can rent you the correct size tool...they some times have tool loaner programs...

Thanks for bringing that to my attention

Al

thanks for the reply. i understand about the tool list. it usually is not a problem, but this is my first diesel and i am still gathering the tools needed to properly maintain the truck. i have always had gassers up to this point and they never had anything that size on them.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yup, 1 and 7/8 inch, LEFT HAND THREAD (Right = loose, Left = tight).

I put that big wrench on the fan clutch nut and wack it with a big hammer. If that doesn't loosen it up, then I hold the pulley with a huge set of Channel Locks. Not a fun job at times.LOL

Be careful of reman'ed pumps....... I've had terrible luck with them and now only put new Ford pumps on my IDI's.

It's also a great time to replace the hoses (radiator and heater) if those have been on the truck for a while.

Heath

Last edited:

SparkandFire

We're drinking beer
Reaction score
Might get flogged for this but, I would spend my money on one of these...

http://www.channellock.com/480-BigAZZ-Straight-Jaw-Plier.aspx

One of the most useful tools I own. If you can't use them to bust the clutch loose with the belt still on, you can use them to clamp down on the pulley and use a big crescent on the clutch. I keep a cut up old chunk of belt laying around to protect the pulley.

Also works great for busting loose stubborn filters. Also works great as a self defense weapon if my six-cell maglite is out of reach. :sly

Got mine at a yard sale. little old lady wanted $5 for it. I gave her $10...

asmith

Full Access Member
Reaction score
RIGHT HAND THREAD (Right = loose, Left = tight).

now only put new Ford pumps on my IDI's.

It's also a great time to replace the hoses (radiator and heater) is those have been on the truck for a while.

Heath

that is what i meant about left hand threads, opposite of what is normal:D

that is exactly what i am doing. i have read the threads, and try my best to learn from others misfortune;Sweet
just tearing down and cleaning and gathering parts right now as i wait for it to come in. should be here in about an hour.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Might get flogged for this but, I would spend my money on one of these...

http://www.channellock.com/480-BigAZZ-Straight-Jaw-Plier.aspx

One of the most useful tools I own. If you can't use them to bust the clutch loose with the belt still on, you can use them to clamp down on the pulley and use a big crescent on the clutch. I keep a cut up old chunk of belt laying around to protect the pulley.

Also works great for busting loose stubborn filters. Also works great as a self defense weapon if my six-cell maglite is out of reach. :sly

Got mine at a yard sale. little old lady wanted $5 for it. I gave her $10...

I'd like to see that remove one of these fan clutches, I know how much torque it takes as well if it is lock tighted your toast a fried...

Invest in the correct tool for the job...

Al

SparkandFire

We're drinking beer
Reaction score
This was how I pulled the fan clutch off the 7.3 engine when I swapped the 6.9 into my '94 truck.

The channel locks were on the 4 bolts attaching the pulley to the water pump. The blue wrench is a slide adjustable pipe wrench. A firm grip on the channel locks and a few whacks on the pipe wrench and off she came. I had put this clutch on with blue locktite.

You must be registered for see images attach

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
My fan clutch nut is so tight that I need my 48 inch breaker bar and my 18 inch breaker bar to loosen them. The torque required for this nut is 165 lbs. Now thats tight. I also use blue loctite because the last thing you want is that fan coming loose when the engine stops. thats when they unscrew and end up in the radiater. Ya can't help that when its happening although one member years ago had just finished the water pump job on his rig. Started it up to purge air and warm it up.. Shut down the engine and the fan kept turning... He had forgotten to tighten the fan nut... Watched it spin into the radiater... Bought a new radiater after that... Sad story too...

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Justin, I too love my giant Channel Locks.

If the "wack the wrench with a big hammer trick" fails, I do the exact same thing you do. Hold the pulley with the big blue teeth of death and muscle the fan clutch nut with the monster 1 and 7/8 wrench. I've never failed to get a fan clutch off that way.

Heath

gandalf

Reaction score
There actually is a tool made to do this job. I have one, and I've used it once. On top of that, I saw it just the other day at my local parts store, so it's still available.

It did the job for me, but I won't claim anything for the next guy. Notice it is made to have a half inch drive stuck on the end to extend the length.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
There actually is a tool made to do this job. I have one, and I've used it once. On top of that, I saw it just the other day at my local parts store, so it's still available.

It did the job for me, but I won't claim anything for the next guy. Notice it is made to have a half inch drive stuck on the end to extend the length.

Ken.. I have this same exact tool and al I can say is it works. I use an 18 inch breaker bar on the pulley side and my 48 inch breaker bar on the nut side. Being that I have the serpentine belt drive its holds easier when I try to get the small wrench over the water pump pulley bolts. Thats the only shakey part of this tool. Then I wedge the tool against anything in the engine bay and apply force to the 48 inch bar. If the pump is shot heat is added because it melts the loctite. I'm careful not to heat up the clutch fan shaft seal too. I place a heat shield in there and point the heat towards the nut. I keep the heat gun close by and when the temp reaches 250 off comes the nut easily...

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Nice set....and that # is clear and easy to see...can you explain the two parts for everyone?

Al

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828

Members online

No members online now.