Water Pump Leakage

oreana123

Reaction score
I have a slight leak from my water pump and only intermittantly. I topped off my overflow tank with about 2 cups of fluid to get it to normal when cold. Got ready to change out the water pump and the dang thing stopped leaking over the last month. The leakage was during the cold months- it is not leaking a drop now. '97 Supercab

Dieselmaster

Diesel addict
Reaction score
When it was leaking was it coming out the weep hole or from behind the gasket?

If it was from behind the gasket you could get away by just checking for tighness...

But if it was from the weephole then its inevatable... you are going to be replacing it... I would do it before it gets real bad.

The last one I changed was just slighly weeping and the guy let it go because it wasn't that bad. When we got it out the bearings were so bad that the blade on the inside were able to come in contact with the back of the water pump... leaving shavings throughout the motor.... had to flush the entire system.

oreana123

Reaction score
water pump leak

Well, I talked to Dale at Tymar and he said that these pumps do tend to weep a little bit and then get better. In February I was sure to change the pump. It drizzled a little every time I drove it. Less than a teaspoon when I stopped. Now it does not leak at all. (yes the coolant is up to the level). I am about to do a flush and coolant replacement so I will change it out then. I already have a coolant filter in the system and its replacement. Just wondered if anyone had had similar experience. John S

hheynow

the misanthrope
Reaction score
I had a waterpump changed last year. There was dripping out of the weep hole, but mostly just after I shut off the engine. This didn't occur every time I shut it off. I also noticed the stock temp gauge would read a bit hotter.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726