Water/**** injection

Markinter

User Registered
Reaction score
I just ordered a kit for $231 from www.coolingmist.com and I should get it by Friday. I'm hoping it will cool the egts on the grades I pull. Of course if it adds a few more ponies that won't be a bad thing :Sly . I will post results after the install.

timntools

Chief Runinscissors
Reaction score
they made **** illegal here, can't even get allergy meds off shelf anymore -cuss

:D :idiot:

I do need something to help me with my egt's on certain hills near my land, might be something I need to look into

Markinter

User Registered
Reaction score
I will use a 50/50 water alcohol mix after I test with just water ;Sweet

It's said to drop egts about 200 degrees or so.

Last edited:

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Stop down in the Ford 6.9/7.3 IDI forum. We have a turn key water injection system you can put together yourself which was designed by F350Camper.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Agnem said:
Stop down in the Ford 6.9/7.3 IDI forum. We have a turn key water injection system you can put together yourself which was designed by F350Camper.
Somebody need to import the thread from TDS concering the **** test and demise of the "E" cookoo . That should be interesting reading for those who want to "find the limits" of water injection :D

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Markinter said:
What happened? You lost me:)
I am not sure of the details, water/****....a.k.a. windshield washer solvent.....was fed to a 7.3IDI in large quantities and the results was a trashed motor. I caught on after the motor went south, but Mel prolly has the whole rundown. he was one of the participants......

Duke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
towcat said:
I am not sure of the details, water/****....a.k.a. windshield washer solvent.....was fed to a 7.3IDI in large quantities and the results was a trashed motor. I caught on after the motor went south, but Mel prolly has the whole rundown. he was one of the participants......

Prolly overfed it and hydrolocked it. cookoo

Used sparingly as a light mist it's fine for lowering EGT's.

Keep us up to date Mark. ;Sweet I hope you'll get a pyrometer first, or your results will only be speculative. ;)

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'll have to prod Rob and see if he'll make that into an article for the tech section. That one is a keeper. The thread from TDS would take an hour to edit. ;p He didn't hydrolock it, he caused thermal shock to the pistons and cracked all 8.

Markinter

User Registered
Reaction score
From what I've read some people used to spray a "stream" of water on the turbo which would then become small droplets but this caused turbo damage. A atomized mist that only comes on during boost is supposed to be safe.

There has been research on continuous water injection "CWI" using CAT 3406E motors. http://home.arcor.de/hildst/devlowemtech.html And now they are testing a Dodge Ram 24v to reduce NOx.http://www.greencarcongress.com/2005/02/trial_of_contin.html

On the Cat they achieved lower emissions and lower egts and higher fuel economy but power was unaffected. They indicate that a mechanical engine would have higher mpg gains "3-5 percent" over the electronically controlled Cat.

Duke, It should be interesting to feel or see the difference during a pull to flip the switch and see what happens :thumbsup: but your right I won't have any real #s until the pyro goes in.

Pushing the limits on any mod is dangerous that's why i'm starting off on the low end "3.9 gph nozzle single stage kit"

Markinter

User Registered
Reaction score
Agnem said:
I'll have to prod Rob and see if he'll make that into an article for the tech section. That one is a keeper. The thread from TDS would take an hour to edit. ;p He didn't hydrolock it, he caused thermal shock to the pistons and cracked all 8.

Did he take any pictures of the debris LOL ouch! I think they call that the new motor mod ;) That article would be a good read!

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Duke said:
Prolly overfed it and hydrolocked it. cookoo

Used sparingly as a light mist it's fine for lowering EGT's.

Keep us up to date Mark. ;Sweet I hope you'll get a pyrometer first, or your results will only be speculative. ;)
nononono......no hydro on his motor. major erosion of the metal surfaces tho. I'll PM goat-boy to tell his story. :D

Markinter

User Registered
Reaction score
towcat said:
nononono......no hydro on his motor. major erosion of the metal surfaces tho. I'll PM goat-boy to tell his story. :D

Didn't he push the limits of water injection tho? cookoo I'm hoping I won't be eroding my motor :eek: . maybe I'm cookoo too LOL

Markinter

User Registered
Reaction score
I installed the injection kit on Sat before heading out on a 3400 mile trip and so far so good. I used just water at first to see how things went and I didn't notice much difference in power but I did notice cooler temps on the regular temp gauge and the hot metal nose gauge. Using water and **** I noticed a definate power increase, not huge but noticeable. I need to install a 10 gallon tank to hold enough water so I don't have to fill up as often. I can post some pics if anyone is interested.

The Baker grade ( I-15 )heading toward Vegas has 2 sections, the first and longest section I took using water only and had to downshift into 5. The 2nd section using water/**** was 6th gear and 65mph over the top ;Sweet

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Staff online