Water for fuel

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Ahhh, yes the good old water for fuel idea. Actually it will work, but how good, thats up in the air.

Water is H2O as most of us know. A process called electrolysis will make the bonds break up, so you are left with H2 and O (which bonds to another oxygen making O2). Now, for our engines, we would need a good amount of hydrogen. I'm thinking it would take a good 60amps to produce enough H2 and O2 to make it worth while.

Are I suppose it could be done with Ammonium, which chemical formual is NH4. The formula for that would be .........2NH4 -----> N2 + 4H2. So it would be better usuing this, but how much does this stuff cost.

Also it takes Stainless steel rods to make it work good, and SS is expensive as crap.

Its a good idea, but the initial cost will be alot. I would gesstimate a good %10-20 increase in fuel economy.

I suppose you could rig up dual alternators, one for all the truck stuff, and another to power the electrolysis. Its just how much loss in milage and power would you see from power that extra alternator.

forcefed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They sell the a kit for rockets where you use the same idea of getting your hydrogen gas to shoot off your rocket. But my thought was the same as yours. You would need alot of juice to create gas fast enough to be able to make a difference in you vehicle.

NJGearhead666

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mythbusters did a thing on this and it didnt work for them. It seemed the car couldnt produce enough juice to convert it into hydrogen. although any gas motor will run on hydrogen gas.

PackRat

Buzzard Pilot
Reaction score
Looks like a fast, easy way to lighten your wallet by $97.:rolleyes:

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
i think there is some hope in the option but the touble is the the electricity you use to break down the water is using more energy than you get back by burning it. i also think it is hard to get it "on demand" live in a engine compartment.

i know there are some guys playing with it though on FTE but i dont think any of them have a up and running system yet.

NapaBavarian

Dually driver 6.9
Reaction score
IIRC, water injection (without their toy can) has been touted to improve MPG and help burn cleaner, but the energy it takes to split the water into separate parts is greater than the energy saved. I call BS.

oly_fab

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have been reading alot about HHO.One thing I keep seeing is that it takes more energy to get it than it produces.

So if you have a engine that is already running it will be less efficient if you leach...oh lets say 60 amps? I have a hard time believing that.

Now over all cost might be diffrent. The cost of KOH,stainless plate,micro switches,ect,ect would take alongtime to makeup in fuel savings.

I dont think of this stuff as "crack pot", more of thinking outside the box.It's going to take ideas like this to help us out of the hole were in.

Stu