Wacky speedo...........

Metalmacguyver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

Sometimes the speedo pegs out and the little digital display gets all distorted.

It once displayed error7.

The odometer still reads accurately.

The tripodometer jumps by a few thousand miles at a time but has been reading accurately the last 2 days while the speedo has not.

Thoughts?

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
on the top of you rear axle there is a sensor.pop it out and clean it.its a magnet and get metal shavings built up on it.

ill get you that number in a little bit,just woke up and yesterday was a very bad day for me.a 700 dollar camara grew wings and flew straight into the side of the office.

did you get those tires mounted?i hope so with this snow we got :eek:

Metalmacguyver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will check that. What bothers me though is that the odometer is still reading correctly. How is that possible if the sensor is messed up?

I did get the tires mounted. Huge difference! I need some weight in the back though. The back end is way to light to push the front end around in the snow.

The snow has been fun. The truck does great in 4x4 with all the weight of the engine on the front end but with 2wd, forget it. I am really glad I have the manual Tcase cause I am in and out of 4x4 all the time. Having to sit and wait for the electric shift would be a joke.

Last edited:

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
My moms truck will do that from time to time, but we've never traced it down. Its supposedly a short in the wire somewhere but we've never been able to find it.

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
if after cleaning or replaceing the sensor it still does it you need the tone ring inside the rear end.your odometer will be "off" but not enough that you will notice.most likely a missing tooth on the tone ring.been there,done that.drove me nuts all the way to florida and back.

Papabear

Papabear
Reaction score
it gets cold enough here i cheat for weight i shovel a foot of snow in the back of my truck and soak it down with water so it freezes than in the spring i just let it melt on it's own