Voidind the warranty because of a K&N filter? ***??

themoose

The Moose is Loose
Reaction score
I read at DTR that DC & Cummins would not honor the warranty (If for example your turbo went out) if you used a K&N or other aftermarket (oiled type) airfilter.
That really steams my ass!!!

I got an e-mail from K&N today telling me about the FIPK for my Ram.
Here's a link to the FIPK for the 03 CTD Ram if your intrested
I sent them a reply asking about the warranty being voided.
I'll post any reply that they send me.

I remember seeing something several years ago about aftermarket parts voiding a warranty,
I think it had something to do with SEMA fighting the mfgrs about this very thing.
It's been a while & I don't remember all of it but I think there was a ruling saying that your warranty couldn't be voided for something like an aftermarket air filter ( a computer chip would be diffrent it actually changes the way the engine management system works),
Does anyone else remember anything about that?

It seems rediculous that they could void a warranty for an air filter or the FIPK set up.
I have K&N's on everything I own but my lawn mower (just because I haven't found one yet).
I have them on my Volkswagen powered dune buggy & my Yamaha YFM660R Raptor, these are driven almost exclusivly in the sand dunes at Little Sahara in Waynoka OK.
This is a very fine powdered sand & every time I've pulled the filters off to be cleaned & re-oiled I have not found a single speck of sand or dust in the intake tract.
I couldn't say that about the stock air filter!!

It is well known that the K&N type filters not only flow more air but filter better than stock replacements.
Why would they have a problem with us using a better air filter???

If they would void the warranty because of the K&N why wouldn't they void the warranty if you use a Fram, Purolator or anything but a MoPar filter???

I'll get off the soapbox now & let someone else climb on it!!

B

Big K

Originally posted by themoose
I read at DTR that DC & Cummins would not honor the warranty (If for example your turbo went out) if you used a K&N or other aftermarket (oiled type) airfilter.
That really steams my ass!!!

If I remember correctly, many DC dealerships sold the K&N filter in the parts department. That didn't last long, and when it came to an end, there were memos sent and posted with respect to warranty voidance if used.

I agree with you on the merits of oiled element filtration, as I have them everywhere, also. They are not for everyone, and that's fine, I'm not going to argue the point.

The unfortunate reality of the situation seems to be that it's too expensive for us little guys to fight city hall. If you are really concerned about keeping your warranty intact, it may be best to follow the recommendations. Then again, you could make certain that they never see the aftermarket filter in place. ;)

If they would void the warranty because of the K&N why wouldn't they void the warranty if you use a Fram, Purolator or anything but a MoPar filter???

I'll get off the soapbox now & let someone else climb on it!!

Uhh, they can. There is an approved list of oil filters, and if your's is not on it, you place yourself at risk. My Baldwin filters are not on the list, but after 15 years of use, I don't plan to change. It's not a cost issue, either. I'm happy with the product, and their customer support is quite good.

Besides, there are lots of other reasons why I am my own warranty station. ;p

I don't like this any more than you, Moose, but they make the rules, and we gotta play by them, or opt out.

Last edited by a moderator:

themoose

The Moose is Loose
Reaction score
Re: Re: Voidind the warranty because of a K&N filter? ***??

Originally posted by Big K
I don't like this any more than you, Moose, but they make the rules, and we gotta play by them, or opt out. [/B]

Actually no we dont have to play by there rules!!
Check out this reply I got from K&N.

Dear Dave,

Contrary to what you may have heard or read, in the USA, a K&N Filtercharger will not void your vehicle warranty. The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act, passed in 1975, prohibits a manufacturer from conditioning its warranty of a consumer product upon the consumer using any article or service (other than one provided without charge under the warranty) which is identified by brand, trade or corporate name, unless expressly authorized by the Federal Trade Commission. If the manufacturer does not provide air filters free of charge, they cannot void the vehicle's warranty simply because you have installed an aftermarket air filter.

For a more thorough discussion of this law known as the Magnuson-Moss Warranty, see our vehicle warranty section of our Air Filter Facts at page http://knfilters.com/facts.htm#VWNTY <http://knfilters.com/facts.htm>. Also see our letter regarding warranty issues at <http://knfilters.com/warrantyletter.htm>.

Thanks for writing,

K&N Customer Service

B

Big K

MM comes up everytime this is discussed. While the intent is good, the reality is that it's very doubtful that any aftermarket manufacturer is going to pay our legal costs for us as we fight an unjustly voided warranty. Not to mention our time off work, and loss of vehicle. I, personally, don't have the funds to argue in court with a major corporation. They know that.

I have merely made a decision that if I wanted my warranty intact, them I'd give them no justification to void it. Since I can think of several reasons that they could, I don't expect them to warranty anything. Might not prevent me from asking, if I felt there was no relation to any modifications that I have made, but then I'd have to let them touch my truck. :puke:

As we all know, most warranties are a joke anyway. The auto manufacturers hide behind theirs, and try to make it as difficult as possible to obtain service, while the aftermarket hides behind MM. In the end, it's the customer who stands to lose.

Choose your modifications wisely, and be prepared for the possibility of consequences, or the necessity of fighting it out.

I would wish everyone the best of luck.

Disclaimer - the frustration expressed here is directed at no one company, nor individual, (even you, moose ;) ). It's just a bit frustrating to hear MM come up, when, in reality, it's just unrealistic to expect this legislation to help John Smith vs. Major Corporation.

My $.02, likely worth well less than that. ;p

MUDDY

Reaction score
dc can only honestly void wrrnty if the k and n lets dirt thru. properly maintain fltr and check to see it not letting dirt thru. if it lets dirt get in u dont want it anyway. keep in mind that if a trbo goes tu , eve if it isnt cuz of a prob w/ k and n,that u may have to argue to get the wrrnty work that is rightfully yours to receive as the majority of dlrs are ******** and the ones that aint are pressured by dc to be

myself, i will soon be runnin the afe in a dd box

Last edited:

truckr

Reaction score
I gotta get my $00.02 worth in , There has been some some issues with sensor failures because of oil contamination, and I believe this is what led D.C. to call into question washable filters. I don't think there was a blanket ban on warranty refusal for aftermarket filters. just don't expect sensors to be replaced under warranty that show signs of oil. For that matter any part that fails that can be traced to alterations will be suspect. Now if a part fails and there is no link to any aftermarket product then warranty cannot be denied. Bob

BigSix

Reaction score
Go to K&N's website and read their warranty. They state in writing that they will not be responsible for any damage or injury as a result of use of their filter directly or indirectly. The million mile warranty means they'll send you a new filter "if" you adhere to their conditions. Why don't they have enough confidence in their filters to warrant that they won't damage your engine. Other filter manufacturers do.
If you read the MM warranty act, you'll see that the manufacturer can void your warranty if unapproved parts are used and a failure accurs do to failure of the aftermarket part. The MM act protects the consumer and the manufacturer. If an aftermarket part damages your truck, isn't it only right that the manufacturer of the aftermarket part pay for the repair? Why should DC pay for damage caused by others?
NASCAR used to use oil bath filters. After several engine failures were traced back to tiny clumps of oily dirt breaking away from the filter and scoring cylinder walls, NASCAR now uses paper filters no different than we buy over the counter for our vehicles.
Yes they flow more but to what benifit? Dyno runs have shown no difference in HP with a paper filter, an oil bath filter and no filter at all. With no benefit to be had other than it looks cool and lets the turbo sing, I'm not going to cause friction with the people who are holding the warranty on my truck.
Aftermarket companies make obsene amounts of money off of us with claims that seldom become reality, lighten our wallets and void our warranties. I simply don't want to participate. If you do, more power to you...:D

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wheelsrollin