Videos of the puller

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There are actually 3 sets of production Moose Misters in use. A set costs about a grand, so they are not cheap. BUT, considering that you would pay more for a set of stock PSD injectors.... :dunno

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My DPS injectors where of very poor quality. Sure they **** out more fuel that stock, but they litterally **** the fuel out. No atomization of fuel at all. Having seen them on an injector tester, I was not impressed. It was like watching a cow **** on a rock. They leaked prior to popping and their opening pressure was only 1200 psi.:puke:

My Moose injectors open at 2200 psi and they is a very nice fine atomazation of the extra fuel injected. My truck starts easier, I get quicker spooling of the turbo, more boost than my 15 psi gauge can read, and less smoke (I actually burn the fuel injected), and better fuel ecomony.

While on the dyno, I lost 6HP with the Moose injectors, but that is likely the result of too much boost (15+ psi). The Banks was way out of it's effiecency range and the intake charge was superheated. The most I saw with DPS injectors was 13 psi. With an innercooler and/or a different turbo, I'd bet I'd see the full potiental of the Moose injectors.

Now for a strict pulling truck, you likely don't care about the improved drivabiliy of the Moose injectors, but they perform.;Sweet Thanks Mel.:hail

Heath

93turbo_animal

Reaction score
I didn't mean to make it sound like the moose misters were bad if I did I just thought that they should mention that they are new and have yet to be proven to add power even though they should and may likely be just what he needs. I just felt that some of the posts sounded a little misleading like everybody was running a set and they made big power.

CoalMiner

Reaction score
well, its gonna be very hard to justify spending $1000 dollars on injectors when thats what we got into the truck as it sits. I think we are gonna run a hx40 with the stock injectors and just stud it, fly cut the pistons, and upgrade the oiling in the lower end.

65sixbanger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well, its gonna be very hard to justify spending $1000 dollars on injectors when thats what we got into the truck as it sits. I think we are gonna run a hx40 with the stock injectors and just stud it, fly cut the pistons, and upgrade the oiling in the lower end.

Why are you going to lower the compression If the turbo you have now doesn't supply more than 10 lbs? And what about the oiling? I cant remember the specs but I think they were rated for like 80,000 hours of being worked...

kas83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why are you going to lower the compression If the turbo you have now doesn't supply more than 10 lbs? And what about the oiling? I cant remember the specs but I think they were rated for like 80,000 hours of being worked...

He's going down to an HX40 turbo, alot smaller than what is on the truck now. And I think he's trying to avoid starving it of oiling at high rpm.

sootman73

Reaction score
well i should have said that that is my opinion on the moose misters. seeing the video of stock and dps and moose injectors a guy could easily tell that the moose injectors flowed more and did a better job at it.

now with this pulling truck the guys might be able to use the potential of those moose misters if they get that far.

coalminer- you're right on track as far as i'm concerned. there is no point in doing all the turbo and fuel work until you build the motor to handle it longer than 5 seconds. studs and compression drop are definitely a must with the mods planned with this truck.

CoalMiner

Reaction score
kas 83 is right, we are using far too big of a turbo and moving to an hx 40 which be easier to lite. at the high rpms we are running we are gonna open up the oil ports on the bottom end to keep the pistons cooled down and the compression drop serves as less stress on components and more room for fuel and other goodies.

Black dawg

Reaction score
If I were building a low buck pulling truck like yours I would modify the stock injectors. Just get or build a pop tester and start modifiying. they dont have to be pretty, just flow more fuel and have remotely close spray patterns to each other.

65sixbanger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
kas 83 is right, we are using far too big of a turbo and moving to an hx 40 which be easier to lite. at the high rpms we are running we are gonna open up the oil ports on the bottom end to keep the pistons cooled down and the compression drop serves as less stress on components and more room for fuel and other goodies.

Yeah I know what lowering the compression does I just didn't know what the hx's stood for. Since yours is an 85, you probably have an A block and I think the comp is already lowered to 20.7 instead of 21.5 like the B blocks...

So why would you want to loose traction by putting skinny tires on it? I have never seen a badass pulling truck in the magazines with skinny tires so they can loose traction.... Hince the one way grip they have... I never get more boost by spinning the tires, I always gain the most boost while/after lugging it..... The tires he has on it are already too skinny and they dont seem to be spinning...

Last edited:

CoalMiner

Reaction score
well, with smaller skinnier tires, its takes less power to turn them while pulling a sled, and keep the rpms up and boost up. when you make 1000+hp you can put bigger tires on them but just watch your gearing. since we are running in a modified diesel class, we run with guys that are making over 700 hp, so we are doing little things that help with what we got. We are gonna use that info and apply it to the 6.0 powerstroke that eventually will be a puller.

kas83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well, with smaller skinnier tires, its takes less power to turn them while pulling a sled, and keep the rpms up and boost up.

Bingo. Small power won't turn the big tires. The big boys are blowing the wide tires off every pull, spinning for traction. Bust the tires loose, keeps the RPM up, and avoids falling under the charger/chargers. The wheel speed vs ground speed of pulling trucks is rarely the same, as most will spin the length of the track. When was the last time you saw a true pulling truck lug down and ***** out at the end of a pull? Besides one that toasted a motor.

With less power, you're not going to get the valuble ground speed needed to pull the furthest, nor will you spin the tires super fast. You do need all the traction you can get so you can pull the sled every last fraction of an inch to be competitive, but will always be behind if way underpowered. Less traction equals more wheel speed, which sometimes equals more ground speed and a further distance pulled. Clear as mud yet?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
placidoert

Members online