Anybody familiar with the IH version of this engine?

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
I had a leak from the O ring in the drain valve on my 7.3 fuel filter. O ring from FORD took care of that.

I wish some idiot hadn't removed the original on my RV. It would be so much handier than the Racor I put in. The van ones connect to a cable where you can empty it by just pulling a lever under the driver's seat.

Booyah45828

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, had some time to troubleshoot this some more. I pulled the bus inside, changed the v belts on it, and then looked over the fuel system.

The bleed orifice/outlet of the fuel filter is nothing more then a tiny hole, no check valve or anything.

I also saw some dampness at the fitting by the injection pump, so I'm thinking the olive is leaking there, which might be the cause of the air intrusion.

The plan is to pick up some olives tomorrow morning and replace them on both ends of that hard line. I also think I'm going to put some vinyl hose there to check for bubbles in the supply side.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
Another source of air intrusion can be the "olives" at the hard line ends. They are like a short section of fuel line compressed by the fitting. There are olives in the line from the filter to the IP

Twice, a year apart, on my F250, I took a flare nut wrench and loosened the IP input line nut then retightened it to solve it leaking. By no means a repair, but a quick fix that seems to last a good while. Individual results may vary.

Booyah45828

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, replacing the olives fixed it.

Well kind of.

Nobody had olives. No parts stores had the pump install kit, no ag shops in the area had anything, I didn't have time to order from one of the vendors or mcmaster carr, and it had to run Saturday night. So the hardline from the pump to the filter head was replaced with brass fittings and barricade fuel hose we keep in stock. I also used crimp type fuel injection clamps, which are better then worm drive hose clamps, so I'm not worried about it leaking fuel or air.

Plus, putting these fittings on allowed me to check fuel pressure. Which I wanted to do since I installed a check valve in the supply line, and some on here stated that they might restrict flow too much.

No issues were found. Fuel pressure was maintained at 5-5.5 psi the whole time, and being in a bus, full load/throttle is pretty much the norm. So I'm confident the check valves aren't causing an issue. Oh, and the fuel psi maintained 5 psi for several hours after shutting the engine off fwiw.

The good news is that I started it today after sitting since saturday night, and it fired right up, where it would typically start and die, so I'd say the problem is fixed.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online