Venting

flareside_thun

Reviving The General Tao
Reaction score
So the other day I got a used DB2 from someone that was supposedly a known good pump.....2 hours later, found out it was WORSE than my old lazy pump....ticked? Oh yea...got burned on that one....So, I did the pump swap at a buddy's shop.....I was bored n ansy. So I left that raggedy pump on there....timed it to where it sounded right....(for the way it sounded) drove home (took every bit of 100 yards to get to 55mph) and parked it as I was a little more than agitated. Started it up yesterday.....crankin it over you hear "PFFF PFFF PFFFF PFFF" then she starts and continues to do it the whole time she's runnin. I pulled the belt to the vacuum hose just to be sure on ym assumption and sure enough, I'd got a bad headgasket. SO, to conclude my rant....I got burned on a used pump (luckily it was cheap) AND I blew a headgasket (sounds like the number one cylinder). YAY!

On a semi-related note.....is Victor Reinz a good choice in gaskets? Lookin at the headgasket changing set on Evilbay for 135 bucks.

88beast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
vr is the only way to go felpros suck anymore
penndiesel has a full gasket kit for the 7.3 for about that price
also on the pump did you pull the housing? or just pump becasue if the ip gear is off it will be retarded
hate to see youre luck man but best of luck to ya youll need it pump swaps suck
also penn diesel rebuilds pumps round 3-5 hundred and they are great quality all in house

flareside_thun

Reviving The General Tao
Reaction score
Nah I just pulled the pump...learned my lesson a few years back the really really hard way. Thanks man I am gonna need it. Got a buddy that's gonna hit up Nozzle Master, if that don't go well I'll be lookin at Uhaul if you guys ain't snatched em all up already....

88beast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i think u hauls sale is over
but the gaskets there the cheapest anywhere i found by far and all oe stuff great place idk if they ship but i could pickup and ship to you

FordGuy100

Reaction score
also on the pump did you pull the housing? or just pump becasue if the ip gear is off it will be retarded
also penn diesel rebuilds pumps round 3-5 hundred and they are great quality all in house

Funny...my Felpro's were holding 15+psi just fine.........

88beast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
didnt you do that a while ago? also there have been a lot of issues with the felpro gaskets lately on here and their quality has declined

HammerDown

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Can't prove that by me...all are NOT great quality and infact at times they use OTHER rebuilders that drop ship to the customer.
How I know > 3 BAD DB2's one out of the box so dirty I wouldn't even consider trying it! :mad:

Last edited:

Brianedwardss

Reaction score
Time to send in you pump to get Baby Moose'd. That totally sux about the head gasket tho. Having a failed head gasket was the one fear that until recently, was keeping me from ever even considering a Turbo. Good luck.

forcefed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a friend that had a old 6.9 that took the head gaskets and sprayed them with a copper coating and then put them on his motor. Mind you this was his play truck with no glow plugs and some aftermarket turbo he modded on there. But he would run mid 20's boost all the time and never blew a head gasket. Now he coats all his head gaskets with copper coating for his street leagal drag cars. Just a thought if you felt head gaskets are losing the quality of craftmanship.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Sorry bout the head gasket but do both sides when you go in. The pump needs to be timed by a meter when you swap pumps.. Just setting the timing to the old marks will not get it done correctly. You sound like the engine is retarded and no power... Victor Reinz is a great head gasket. So is Felpro. I have been using felpro for many years without any issues.

88beast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
brianeswardss you mean penn diesel? i know a few guys who had there pumps and they lasted till they got rid of the truck without any issues and idk what they used to do but they have a good rebuilder there and do it all in house now no db2 gets sent out

flareside_thun

Reviving The General Tao
Reaction score
Time to send in you pump to get Baby Moose'd. That totally sux about the head gasket tho. Having a failed head gasket was the one fear that until recently, was keeping me from ever even considering a Turbo. Good luck.

I'd love to but being unemployed keeps me from that...at least until I can sell my gas truck.

I have a friend that had a old 6.9 that took the head gaskets and sprayed them with a copper coating and then put them on his motor. Mind you this was his play truck with no glow plugs and some aftermarket turbo he modded on there. But he would run mid 20's boost all the time and never blew a head gasket. Now he coats all his head gaskets with copper coating for his street leagal drag cars. Just a thought if you felt head gaskets are losing the quality of craftmanship.

I myself am a strong believer in coppercoating all gaskets and have even converted more than a few people to doing so.... The FelPros on my 302 got the coppercoat treatment.....35k miles ago. It's definitely gonna happen on the oilburner.

Sorry bout the head gasket but do both sides when you go in. The pump needs to be timed by a meter when you swap pumps.. Just setting the timing to the old marks will not get it done correctly. You sound like the engine is retarded and no power... Victor Reinz is a great head gasket. So is Felpro. I have been using felpro for many years without any issues.

I was thinking about cheating and just do the one side but the set is so cheap it'd be dumb not to....gives an excuse to reseal the top end anyways...which it needs.

In another bit of news...my buddy, Biggin92, was bored today so was gonna swap the pumps back out for the old pump....he had them sitting side by side and noticed that 2 of the injector lines were flip-flopped. Since I replaced the pump with the injector lines intact I didn't think to look and see. Turns out lines 1 and 8 were switched around. So, he put them where they should be and the truck runs like a top...better power, much smoother and alot less lazy...even with the blown HG. I never in a million years would have thought to check that out. Now, we think the donor motor this IP came off of isn't junk after all.....I'm in a slightly better mood but the blown HG thing still irks me.....Such is life right?

Oh yea, I also found one of the old air inlet tubes....the one that attaches to the core support...

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726