Vegtherm inline heater

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anybody have any experience with the Vegtherm inline heaters? I know they are made for vegetable oil, but this might be good for running higher mixtures of WMO in the winter months.

hheynow

the misanthrope
Reaction score
I've had the VegTherm Mega for two years with my SVO system. Yes it will add heat almost instantly and yes you'll need a 40amp relay. If the temps are very cold your lift pump may may struggle with pulling cold WMO up from the tank as oil thickens as the temps drop.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
I've used the veg therms on a number of european diesels running veg over a few years and the things work great. They get hot instantly . on my volvo diesel , I run a single tank veg setup ( it's got a Bosch pump, don't try that with a stanadyne ) where it starts cold on veg but I have the veg there mounted directly in front of the injection pump and mounted to some of the injector lines and within 30 seconds I have full heat veg going into the pump, and after the coolant heated filter heats things up, the veg therm self regulates itself and cycles out.

If you get one, get the mega therm for one of these beasts, and it's cheaper in the long run to buy the kit with the heavy relay and wires and all.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Question for you guys. Is this like an inline heater? I mean does it go in the the fuel line somewhere, and the fuel passes through it, getting heated up?

I have another question. If I where to go and buy a new fuel tank, front/rear it doesnt really matter. If I went and did that, is there some sort of electric heater that can sit in the tank, so that I can plug into a 120v source? I like the idea of just plugging the tank in to keep the WMO/diesel warm rather than using coolant, which requires the truck to be warm, and another tank to start it on.

funnyman06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With the the heated tank, i read about a guy who used coolant to heat his tank, but he insulated it so it would stay over 100F over night.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Question for you guys. Is this like an inline heater? I mean does it go in the the fuel line somewhere, and the fuel passes through it, getting heated up?

I have another question. If I where to go and buy a new fuel tank, front/rear it doesnt really matter. If I went and did that, is there some sort of electric heater that can sit in the tank, so that I can plug into a 120v source? I like the idea of just plugging the tank in to keep the WMO/diesel warm rather than using coolant, which requires the truck to be warm, and another tank to start it on.

Yes, the veg therm is a 12 volt inline fuel heater. They sell them at plantdrive.com, great folks.
As far as a tank heater, it depends on what kinds of tank you have. if It's a metal tank, an electric stick on pad heater is about the easiest way to go for that .you just stick it on th eoutside on the bottom of the tank. they get hot as heck real fast, or if you are handy with welding, I have recently heard of welding a fitting and threading a water heater element in which would work great(never weld on a used fuel tank unless it has been thoroughly flushed out and cleared of all residue )

Diesile

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The only problem with keeping the oil hot is heat is one of three things that
work to oxidize veg oil. That comes from one of the forums or facts on sites
such as Plant Drive.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
The only problem with keeping the oil hot is heat is one of three things that
work to oxidize veg oil. That comes from one of the forums or facts on sites
such as Plant Drive.

So true, except Justin isn't looking to use it for veg, he's looking to rig up for WMO.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
So true, except Justin isn't looking to use it for veg, he's looking to rig up for WMO.

Yup, WMO not WVO

Thanks for the link to the stick on heater, that is what I was wanting. Just plug them in at night, and I would be all set to go in the morning. I've never seen a day where it hasnt gotten above 30* in the valley for the high, its always above that, so I think during the day the residual heat will stay in it, and all should be good. I might rig up a coolant heater so when I drive around for lunch it will heat the WMO up again, so I would be all set to go when I was to drive home.

Diesile

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ah yes, wmo it is. And with that no oxidizing. Life will be good w/no worries.

Tempting.....But I can't get get over the nasties in used oil, even though it
seems a lot of posters are doing well with it.

I'm sure Justin will keep us posted and I'll do the same on the wvo. Good
combusting to us all.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Ah yes, wmo it is. And with that no oxidizing. Life will be good w/no worries.

Tempting.....But I can't get get over the nasties in used oil, even though it
seems a lot of posters are doing well with it.

I'm sure Justin will keep us posted and I'll do the same on the wvo. Good
combusting to us all.

Yup, hopefully it will treat me well. I think I'm going to try to filter it down to about 2 microns, then I will run it through a fuel/water seperator, then through a 1 micron house water filter, then mix it with diesel. I have an old Racor fuel/water seperator, hopefully it will work in that. Hopefully that will take out all the coolant...if not, a couple fill ups and I will have saved enough money to buy an IP and injectors ;Sweet.

Good combusting to you to, thats a good line right there, has a good ring to it :hail

Diesile

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks Justin. Good luck to all of us in this current $$$ fuel situation.

If you are interested I can send you the link to a 34 minute you tube type
video. The speaker talks about why we are paying and who is doing it, very
powerful. PM your email if you want it or I might be able to get it on a post, I'm
semi literate on the computer.
Lorin

FordGuy100

Reaction score
For use on steel tanks ONLY.
Some Ford tanks are plastic as mine are and better suited for WVO than steel.

Yup, thanks goodness trucks my vintage are steel eh ;Sweet?

Thats a good thing to point out though, if you have anything but a steel tank, dont buy one, heat and plastic dont mix LOL

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
holy crap those pad heaters are expensive. i think i might make my own with some nichrome wire.......now where did i have those equations....