various 6.9 questions :dunno

res0wc18

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hey all i have a few questions.

i have a steady stream of blow by coming out of my dipstick when its running and i have the dipstick out, is that normal? And the dipstick itself is loose, easy fix?

Has anyone ever put a bypass filter on these old oilers? Know where one could tie in for pressure and a place to return, besides the oil pressure sensor location and a self tap into the valve cover or something?

One of my trucks has the wastgated ats kit and one has the non wastegated kit. Which one is better and why?. Is there a bigger down pipe you can put on these things? Keep in mind that its going to be in my 79 f350

What is the biggest exhaust for these things? Dynomax 4"? anyone have a part number? Or could i put an adapter flange and just run even bigger? At what point does the size of the exhaust become redundant?

Last edited:

rthomas

Reaction score
some blowby is normal, but it should go away when when above idle. has the cdr been cleaned recently? they can get a little crusty inside and not breath so well
according to banks anything bigger than 3" mandrel bent pipe is a waste. i would pay more attention to the muffler you want, the best ones are straight through

res0wc18

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yah, i checked it at idle, so first thing i should replace the cdr valve, im sure its ancient.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey I'd pay moire attention to your oil consumption and if your blowby is steady of huffing to the tune of one or more cylinders. If it's basically steady, one little puff for each hit thats normal. Blowby out the dipstick tube suggests either the CDR isn't hooked up or its been moved or there is a LOT of blowby. Also, having a turbo does increase blowby some(maybe a lot) Sealing the dipstick tube, I dunno...maybe someone else can tell you. The WG vs. non gated has been hashed so much...they are both good, it just depends on where you need the boost. Do you need it down low? Almost off idle? You want to go with the factory turbo or another wastegated version. Do you haul heavy and need a lot of boost over 2000-2500 rpm? You need a non gated turbo. It'll make as much boost as you have fuel to make and as your egts will allow. The firewall on the 79 seems to be a problem for the downpipe. The gated squished downpipe might help you some at the cost of some performance. If you go with the real downpipe you might have to cut the firewall some more than usual. I think it will be worth your while.

res0wc18

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It a drop in crate motor from jasper that is very strong, it doesnt smoke no matter where your at in the rpm range, so im guessing that the cdr is non existant or broken. I need low torque.

Like i said the engine is stronger than any i have ever seen, so im wondering if its the cdr and some is just normal because the compression is so good?

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You need low torque...you have it with the diesel, you'll have it more with a turbo...I guess you mean to say you need boost at low RPMs, in that case use the factory turbo. They both really clean up the truck's operation and make it less smoky, more driveable. I really only have experience with the non wastegated ATS but from what I hear my experience is typical.

res0wc18

Full Access Member
Reaction score
rings or valve stems, uh im not sure. From the way that this thing drives i would say that the engine runs, besides the blow by issues im having at idle better than my dads new 1990 did. Any one else have an opinion of what this blow by could be? The radiator is spotless and no bubbles and vice versa.

Could it maybe be that this is just normal for this thing? If the CDR valve isnt installed or messed up would it cause this?

Has anyone ever put a bypass filter on these old oilers? Know where one could tie in for pressure and a place to return, besides the oil pressure sensor location and a self tap into the valve cover or something?

Last edited:

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, if you can get us a video clip it would be awesome. If it runs good and doesn't burn too much oil, I would ignore it and just drive it. We have one member with a relatively new Jasper reman and Hypermax turbo who has a fair bit of blowby, and another guy with a fairly new IH crate motor installed a Banks system and all of a sudden he had a lot more blowby. I think its a a case of nothing comes for free. The pressure on the rings and dynamic compression is greater, and we all know that blowby is associated with very high compression engines. At least that's what I'm telling myself. I have a lot more blowby than I did in NA form since installing my ATS non gated turbo, but no increase in oil consumption...the same or maybe even less.

res0wc18

Full Access Member
Reaction score
we'll see how much oil she uses, i know most if it will be from leaking. The blow by out the oil fill tube is a very small steady amount.

I wonder if i should even worry since im installing a gulf coast bypass filter which filters down to below 1 micron, so any excess engine wear im doing my best to stop.

Also i keep my foot out of the gas, i dont beat on any of my stuff so im hoping this blow by isnt a sign that the engine is going to be a shister. The thing runs so great, i cant imagine why there is so much coming out the dipstick.

Anyways it appears after searching that i may use a chevy 6.5td CDR since i have the ats turbo kit on it.

If i feel that i am causing unneeded harm to my engine i will remove the turbo kit, even though ive never seen it go past 4 psi of boost.

Last edited:

res0wc18

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Soooo... anyone else as to what could be the cause of the blow by out of the dipstick? Im going to get a video of it tomarrow.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7

Members online