Valve spring shim size?

SPR1NK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was told with running a cam from R&D I need to run comp 910 springs and shim them, what diameter do the shims need to be? I think I have an idea what they should be but I wanted to be sure before I ordered them.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
same diameter as the spring.
or..
are you referring to thickness?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
not sure about diameter Cause this has never been asked. If thickness is what you need to know best to call justin bout that. It is his cam. I don't think anyone can tell you a general shim thickness because you are shimming for spring pressure and most heads are not going to measure the same.

SPR1NK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Justin told me to put a .060 shim in, which seems like a lot to me, I just didn't know about diameter as shimming springs is new to me, but ill do some measuring and figure it out as best I can

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Have you even looked at spring shim kits?
This is way simpler than you're trying to make it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

SPR1NK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was looking at them on summit and got all sorts of unsure about what I needed when I saw all the options for ID and OD

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000CIS8CC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This kit is the one I used. These shims are big enough to get over the base of the stem that flares out a little.

I also used this micrometer to set the valve spring height to 1.8.

I measuredand am glad I did. I needed .030 on intake valves and no shims on the exhaust valves to set the correct spring height of 1.8 in.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000CCFK9M/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

SPR1NK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Awesome thank you, I will be ordering one of those micrometers so I can be sure to do this right

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freqencyheight

Members online