Valve seals?

JosieGallows

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Whats the difference between the Umbrella and Positive valve seals?

And where do I find them?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Usually the positive valve seals are found on the intake valves because the intake has some oil in it all the time. the umbrella seals are a plastic seal that fits up in the top valve spring keeper. they do not fit down on the heads like in most engines. They form an umbrella that makes the oil drip off the sides of the valve stem so it wont drain into the exhaust port. Most ever head gasket set has the valve seals in them.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When you install the valve seals, be sure and follow the instructions that come with them, if the instructions don't come with them, then get back here for them. I know Fel-Pro has instructions. If you don't, you will have oil consumption.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
originally they came with positive on intake, umbrella on exhaust. then the 7.3 got positive on both intake and exhaust. after excessive reports of exhaust valve guide premature wear on the 7.3, they changed all kits to include umbrella seals for exhaust.... except for ninnys like me who know they are going to be running nothing but synthetic forever, and I got 2 sets of seals so I could put positive all the way around, figuring the extra lubrication would take care of it, so far so good, well over 100k miles and consumption still as when first rebuilt ;Sweet equal to about a gal every 5k miles ( or about the same as those folks on dino oil who say they never have to add a drop between changes :D

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Good to see you back posting again Robert. Its been a long time. Hope only the best for you and the family. Any news on your rig... Anything new to add about it or the sons car...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828

Staff online