Valve seal question

Twostacks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's been awhile since I took the 7.3 heads apart and now am ready to install the valves, springs etc.. The helms manual dosen't mention which seal goes on the intake and wihich one goes on the exhaust valve. I'm thinking the soft rubber one goes on the intake and the hard plastic one goes on the exhaust, I just want to make sure, this is my first build and I appreciate all the help from all of you.;Sweet

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think you have it correct, but I'm not 100% sure. I'm going to be watching this thread as I will be doing the same on my 6.9 in the near future as well.

Heath

Twostacks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Posted to soon further reading in the Helms and I found my answer, the soft rubber seal is the intake and the nylon is for the exhaust. Also mentioned that if the nylon seal is not installed correctly in the exhaust spring retainer the seal will float on the stem and cause excessive oil comsumption

Thanks again

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
What you have posted is the correct way they install but... The intake seal needs the funny looking installer tool. Its kinda like a straw that fits over the top of the intake valve. Then the seal is pushed down over that. this way there is no chance of the seal being torn by the valve machined retaining area near the top. Also you have it very correct about where and how the exhaust seal fits. I know it looks wrong but it does work well there. Some repair manuals actually tell you to install two types of exhaust seals per valve but that way wrong. There isn't enough room for two seals and it will cause all kinds of issues...:sly